Reading: How to Freeze Zucchini (3 Ways!)
Zucchini is one of the most prolific veggies you can grow ! Zucchini and other summer squash plants just never seem to stop producing. If you ’ ve run out of ideas for using up your fresh zucchini, do what I do—freeze it !
Frozen zucchini is a great room to add a boost of veggies to dishes all year hanker. Let us show you three ways to freeze zucchini—in shreds, zucchini noodles, and slices—to help you add some summer flavor to your kitchen .
Can you freeze zucchini?
You sure can ! You won ’ metric ton get the like crispen texture that you have from fresh zucchini, but freeze zucchini is a great addition to soups, stews, sauces, muffins, and quick breads .
Can you freeze zucchini without blanching it first?
sure can, and in fact, that ’ s what we recommend you do ! For some veggies ( like corn or park beans ), blanching before freezing helps seal in the texture and color of the vegetable. But we ’ ve found that blanching doesn ’ triiodothyronine have much of an shock on the final leave of zucchini. Thawed zucchini is cushy and watery—whether you blanch it or not .
How do I blanch zucchini for freezing?
If you in truth want to blanch your zucchini first, it ’ s up to you ! We estimate that blanching zucchini might increase the quality by 5-10 %. here ’ s how you do it :
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Prepare an ice bath by combining ice and water together in a large bowl.
- Plunge the zucchini into the boiling water and cook for 60 seconds.
- Using a mesh strainer or slotted spoon, fish out the zucchini and plunge into the ice bath to stop cooking.
- Dry off the zucchini before freezing.
How do I prepare zucchini for freezing?
Before freeze, prep your zucchini in the class you plan to finally use it in. We tend to do a little of each so we can have tractability throughout the class .
- Zucchini Noodles (AKA: Zoodles)—for soups and stews: Spiralize your zucchini noodles as you usually do. Cut into smaller pieces if desired. Frozen zucchini noodles don’t work well as a substitute for spaghetti or other pasta dishes because they do come out quite soft and watery, but they are great in soups!
- Slices or chunks—for anything! Cut into slices or chunks the size of what you’d typically use. Throw some in a smoothie, mix them into spaghetti sauce, or add some to your favorite soup!
- Shredded—for muffins and zucchini bread. Shred the zucchini on a box grater, then place the shredded zucchini in the middle of a clean tea towel. Bunch it up and then squeeze out as much of the extra moisture as you can.
Okay, teach me how to freeze zucchini!
- Wash the zucchini well and remove both the stem and the blossom ends. Prepare the zucchini as you wish in either noodles, slices, or shredded.
- For noodles and slices, place in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, about two horus.
- For shredded, measure out an even amount (I like 1 cup) into a storage container and freeze.
- Transfer the frozen noodles and slices into a long-term storage container in the freezer.
Can I freeze zucchini noodles?
You sure can ! They don ’ t have the lapp texture as fresh zoodles, so I don ’ triiodothyronine recommend them for salads or to substitute for spaghetti in a pasta bowl, but they are great to add to soups ( like our Chicken Soup ) and stews .
What are the best containers for storing frozen zucchini?
hera are my four favorite storehouse solutions for frozen veggies :
- Glass Food Storage Containers—These admittedly take up the most space of all the options, but they are reusable, glass, and stack nicely.
- Glass Canning Jars—I have a giant stash of jars, so it only makes sense to use some of them for freezing! You’ll want to choose jars with straight sides, because they are safest for freezing.
- Zip-top Freezer Bags—If you’re new to freezing and are okay with utilizing single-use plastics, zip-top freezer bags are a great place to start. They are affordable, and you can find them at most grocery stores.
- Vacuum Sealing Bags—I love our vacuum sealer, and it is great for packaging up just the right amount of zucchini for a meal. You will need to buy a vacuum sealer first, though.
How do I cook frozen zucchini?
The beauty of freezing zucchini is that the freeze action reasonably much “ cooks ” the zucchini enough so you just need to warm it through before enjoying ! Toss it in ( no indigence to thaw ) at the end of your cooking fourth dimension in soups, stews, and sauces. For casseroles or other places where supernumerary liquid might be debatable, thaw the zucchini first base, and then toss in the solid pieces without the juice from defrosting .
How do I bake with frozen shredded zucchini?
When you go to make your favorite zucchini boodle or muffin recipe, just swap out the fresh shredded zucchini for your frozen shredded zucchini—no need to thaw. Since you squeezed out the majority of the moisture before freeze, this frigid zucchini is perfect for adding moisture to your front-runner quick breads .
What can I do with frozen zucchini?
- Chicken Zoodle Soup. Drop your frozen zucchini noodles into our fan favorite chicken soup recipe!
- Healthy Chicken Stir Fry. Mix some frozen chunks or slices into our healthy chicken stir fry.
- Vegetable Beef Soup. One of the vegetables in this classic soup could be your frozen zucchini! Just drop them in toward the end of cooking.
- Pad Thai. Swap out the noodles in our pad Thai recipe for zucchini noodles from your freezer.
- Smoothies. Drop some frozen zucchini into any of our well-loved smoothie recipes! You can barely taste zucchini when blended in.
How to Freeze Zucchini
3 medium zucchini
homework prison term :
extra clock :
sum time :
Yes, you can freeze zucchini ! Let us show you how to freeze zucchini noodles, shreds, and slices for habit in your kitchen all year long.
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder
- 3 medium zucchini
- Wash the zucchini, and cut off both ends. Spiralize, shred, or slice.
For spiralized noodles and sliced zucchini
- Spread the zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet, and freeze until solid.
- Transfer to freezer containers or bags, removing as much air as possible.
For shredded zucchini
- Place the zucchini into the middle of a clean tea towel, and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Transfer to freezer containers or bags, removing as much air as you can. This works best if you measure out an even amount, like 1 cup or 2 cups.
You can do this with any amount of zucchini, arsenic long as spiralized or sliced zucchini are kept in a single layer during the initial freeze .
Amount Per Serving:
Read more : How to Build an Igloo in 10 Steps | Winter Fun
At Wholefully, we believe that good nutrition is about much more than barely the numbers on the nutriment facts jury. Please use the above information as only a little separate of what helps you decide what foods are nourishing for you .