Learn how to draw a self portrait with some extra large eyes. Changing the proportions of the face can create a very expressive look.
Big Eyes Portrait drawing
If students are familiar with drawing a side with normal proportions, as I shared in my How to Draw a Face post, it might be fun to mix things up a bit. I think Picasso once said that “ you need to learn the rules before you break the rules ” or something like that. so just as my previous Modigliani Portrait project asks students to make an unusually long face, this one asks them to draw themselves with unusually big eyes.
The purpose of this practice could be art history related, as in the story of Margaret Keane, whose veridical life feel was told the movie titled “ big Eyes ”. It ’ s a pretty bewitching floor of a womanhood whose conserve took credit rating for her work. She finally got her recognition, but had to battle him legally for years before she got her due .
then there is besides the example of Proportion, one of the Principles of Design. If students specifically draw eyes that touch both the nuzzle and the away edge of their head, they end up eyes that are about doubly the size of normal. This not only adds room for an extra expressive spirit, it takes away any preconceived ideas that students might have about a absorb of them is supposed to look. It ’ s limit to be unlike from any other self portrait done in the by, and that can be a very free experience. particularly for students that tend to be excess critical of their own abilities .
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Big Eyes Portrait Coloring Page
Materials for a Self Portrait
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by step Directions for a Self Portrait
Time needed : 45 minutes. Draw a Self Portrait with “ Big Eyes ”
- Draw a wide U, add the neck and shoulders.
- Add a simple nose in the middle.
- Start the outer eye as shown.
Read more : How to take a screenshot on LG smartphones
- Add the lid lines and circles underneath.
- Draw the pupils inside the eyes.
- Draw the hair line above.
- Draw the outer hair line.
- Some more examples of how to draw hair.
- Trace with a marker and color.
Drawing by Carolina T., age 10
More Fun Drawing Portrait Projects
Draw My Goals
Read more : How to change your Instagram username
Self Portrait with Sun Glasses
How to Draw a Half Portrait
Draw a Face