One problem, though, is knowing where to spend your time, energy, and money. Which mind, questions, and problems are worthwhile ?
You need to be able to define a good inquiry problem. A research problem addresses an existing gap in cognition in your field and leads to far investigations by you and other researchers. Inspiring others with your inquiry problem will lead to citations, enhancing your and your institution ’ sulfur impact .
In order to write a clear and useful problem affirmation, you need to describe a wonder and its consequences.
One key way to assess the ‘ utility ’ of your research ideas is to learn how to express them as pass problems .
In this article, we will talk about how to write a statement of the problem for your next research proposal. This is important not equitable for assessing the ‘ utility ’ of research ideas, but besides for formulating a grant lotion or marriage proposal. We ’ ll lecture about how to explain your research ideas to others in the class of a problem statement in your marriage proposal .
Table of Contents
What is a statement of the problem in research?
All inquiry projects should start with a clear problem statement. A trouble affirmation is a conceptualization of an issue which is normally a ‘ gap ’ within your area. A research gap is an unanswered motion, an topic, controversy, or untested hypothesis that has not yet been addressed .
The trick with research problems is working out whether they are actually worth investing the time, energy, and money to figure out. This comes with experience, or you could equitable read on !
Since a clear trouble statement is going to form the basis of your future inquiry undertaking, the question is : How can I write one ?
How is this done ? The first footfall is to become conversant with the basic elements of a trouble instruction in effective research .
Characteristics of a problem statement
A inquiry problem statement has two key attributes :
- The problem must be challenging and original, but also potentially achievable by your team.
- The problem must not be incremental. In other words, don’t try to address a small change or advance on an existing study that leads to no new scientific insight. This could be damaging to your and your team’s reputation, and will likely not lead to a meaningful publication.
Developing a ‘ commodity ’ inquiry trouble statement, consequently, involves systematic plan and setting time-based, realistic objectives. Your problem has to be accomplishable .
You ’ ll besides need to apply feasible research methods based on an approach that best suits the research doubt. Your methods have to make sense. They must be functional. In other words, you must be able to acquire statistically sufficient and relevant data that is reproducible .
finally, the problem you define means you ’ ll need to train team members in this finical research sphere and methods .
Writing a statement of the problem
Stating a research trouble is donel by defining it within the general area of your research. This depends on your previous cultivate and experience. It may be an sphere you want to move into or a subject related to what you have already worked on as a research worker. Examples could include a interview in astrophysics within physics, robotics within engineering, nutrition within medicine, or marine biology within ocean and earth skill .
once you ’ ve determined your overall sphere ( and you ’ ll know this already of naturally ), it ’ s time to drill down, decide, and define a research problem within that battlefield .
first gear, your statement should identify a problem that needs to be addressed within your selected sub-area.
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder
This will about surely require literature work, but the estimate may arise from :
- Discussions you’ve had with colleagues;
- Discussions at a conference;
- A paper you’ve read.
irregular, your problem affirmation should be a “ commodity research problem. ” This will require far probe and reading as you consider “ what has been done ? ” and “ what needs to be done ? ”
Third, search for more information, possibly by :
- Locating relevant books, papers and other materials;
- Evaluating the quality and authority of the information collected;
- Maintaining a regular literature review throughout the project;
- Making regular notes on background material;
- Deciding how this literature search will be carried out within the research group;
- Deciding how information gained will be disseminated to the group (e.g., via each researcher carrying out a regular literature review in their sub-area and information disseminated at group meetings or via email at regular intervals).
This summons may well change or modify how your research trouble is stated or formulated .
once your research problem has been identified, research questions within the problem motivation to be specified .
How long should your statement of the problem be?
not excessively long. One page is more than adequate for a clearly and effective trouble affirmation .
Research questions within your problem
The beginning stage of writing your research problem argument involves formulating your questions in a meaningful direction. In the context of important questions, we are looking for things that many readers across different disciplines find to be concern. But at the same time, set your interview within your sphere .
therefore, once a research problem has been established, several questions can be written down. These questions should specify precisely what needs to be determined to address the trouble .
These questions should besides be specific enough that they can be answered using allow available inquiry methods – or methods that could be made available to the research group ( e.g. by buying or borrowing equipment ) .
These questions should require complex in-depth investigation, psychoanalysis, and argument.They should not be bare enough that they can be answered well with well-established facts or yes/no answers .
All research questions should be focused, particular, appropriately complex, and relevant to the overall aims of the project .
Examples of questions and next steps
- How do government regulations prevent companies from polluting water systems?
- What factors have influenced population growth in the fastest growing countries?
- How can a bespoke thermal desorption unit be designed and built for use in detection of trace particulate matter in a polluted environment (e.g., a busy city street)?
- What methods and procedures can be used to understand, and hence control, fundamental chemical processes that occur in flames?
- How can measurement protocols used in mass spectrometry in a university research laboratory be developed and standardized to enable direct comparison with related measurements in a government laboratory?
once the trouble and questions have been identified, the resources required to carry out the research will need to be assessed. This will involve :
Read more : 3 Key Steps to a Concrete Floor Refresh
- Identifying the equipment needed. Find out what is available and what needs to be purchased.
- Assessing which consumables (e.g., chemicals) are needed for the project, and determining if they can be obtained on a regular basis (i.e., in the right quantities at the appropriate times).
- Identifying the software, data-analyses and other computer support needed. Assess what needs to be purchased.
- Assessing what laboratory and office space is needed. And if more is required, discuss this with the relevant laboratory manager.
- Identifying what support for travel is needed for the group, as well as what resources are required for the group to attend relevant conferences and training of group personnel.
Defining and writing a clean argument of a problem as the basis of a visualize is the first – and most important – footstep in any research. The tips and ideas in this article will help you clearly identify the aim of the research you are developing .
A clear inquiry problem statement will likely form the skeleton of the Introduction of your final article. If you are able to clearly direct your reader ( the most important person in the print process ) to an important and interest question, they will likely stay engaged, and use and cite your article in the future .