Table of Contents
What Is Uber Eats and How Does It Work?
When Uber launched its food delivery service Uber Eats in 2014, the rival in the food rescue market was already fierce. still, despite being a late mover, Uber Eats managed to stand its grind, and it hasn ’ thymine looked back since .
As of today, Uber Eats is one of the leading food delivery platforms globally, operating in 45 countries across six continents. And as the gig economy grows, so does the demand for food pitch drivers. Long story light, if you ’ ve been thinking about becoming an Uber Eats rescue driver, now is the best time to do it .
And if you already drive for Uber, that ’ s even better as you can deliver with Uber Eats, excessively. This service is fast and commodious for customers and offers a new tax income flow for drivers.
Uber Eats food delivery app works similarly to Instacart, Shipt, DoorDash, and Postmates in the feel that drivers deliver food or groceries. Basically, a hungry customer orders a meal from one of participating local anesthetic restaurants using the Uber Eats app, or the Uber Eats web site. then, a pitch driver working for Uber picks up the take-out order and delivers it to the customer ’ randomness location .
What does it take to become a delivery driver with Uber, though ? And what are the pros and cons of being one ? That ’ s what we ’ ll attempt to explain in the postdate guidebook .
Sign Up With Uber Eats
Who can drive with Uber Eats?
If you ’ re already an Uber, Instacart, DoorDash, or Postmates rideshare driver, signing up for Uber Eats is a cinch. If you presently drive for Uber, just go to your report on the Uber app and choose Vehicle Options. Read and accept the delivery terms. nowadays you can well enable or disable the delivery option through your account whenever you want to start earning some extra cash delivering food rather than giving rides to passengers .
How to start delivering for Uber Eats?
The floor is different if you don ’ triiodothyronine drive on the Uber network. In this case, you ’ ll motivation to apply to use the Uber platform to deliver food. Before you do that, however, be sure to prepare the want documents. The requirements to deliver for Uber Eats can vary by city, but there are several standard conditions one must meet to drive with Uber Eats :
- You need to be at least 19 years old
- Your 2 or 4-door car must be newer than a 1998 model
- valid driver ’ randomness license and cable car policy
- In the US, you need at least one year of driving experience
- You will need a clean force record with no major violations dating back 7 years
- Upon applying, you will be required to pass a background check and a safety screen and upload a few needed documents .
once you ’ ve checked off all of these, you ’ re about fix to drive for Uber Eats and make some cash. First, you ’ ll need to apply. here ’ s a quick bit-by-bit guide on how to do that :
- Go to the sign-up page. once on the Uber sign-up page, you ’ ll be required to fill in a standard form with your name, e-mail address, telephone act, etc .
- Select the type of transportation. future, you ’ ll be asked to pick your fare method acting of rescue. Pick your option and suction stop on ‘ continue. ’
- Authorize background check. The following footstep is to authorize the standard Uber Eats background check. Browse through it and tap on ‘ Agree ’ to authorize it. You ’ ll besides be asked to submit your Social Security act and read the disclosure. Mark the box next to ‘ I agree and acknowledge, ’ and snap on ‘ Submit ’ to move on .
- Add your driver’s license. If you ’ ve chosen car delivery in the second gear step, you ’ ll motivation to upload your valid driver ’ south license. If you ’ ve opted for bicycle delivery, you ’ ll need to upload your photograph. Once you ’ re done, click on ‘ Go to following footstep. ’
- Add proof of your vehicle insurance. If you ’ ve chosen a car or motor scooter delivery, you ’ ll be required to upload proof of your vehicle indemnity. It should include your name, fomite designation issue ( VIN ), policy company, and your indemnity termination date .
- Upload your vehicle registration. future, you ’ ll have to upload a video of your registration. It should include its model year, VIN, and termination date .
- Upload your profile photo. once you ’ re done uploading all the necessitate department of commerce, the final examination thing to do is upload your profile picture. It should be a well-lit headshot of your face without a hat or sunglasses .
once you fill in the necessary forms, all leave is to wait for Uber ’ s approval. If you meet all the Uber delivery driver requirements, you should be accepted as one of the Eats drivers within a workweek. however, the action may take longer depending on how many applications Uber receives .
How do you use the Uber Eats app or website?
once you become a Uber Eats food manner of speaking driver, you ’ re all fit to jump right into the action. You can receive delivery requests via your Uber Driver app. Below are the basic steps for how it works – from getting the request to picking up the food to delivering the food to the customer .
Food Delivery Requests:
- You ’ ll receive an audio telling through the app, good like a drive request .
- Notice that the screen will say “ rescue ” alternatively of “ Uber X. ”
- Tap the screen to accept the delivery request .
- You ’ ll beget information regarding the food order issue, pick-up localization, and customer name .
- Tap “ navigate, ” and the GPS will direct you to the restaurant .
- Give the restaurant staff the food order numeral and customer name when you arrive .
- Double-check the arrange before heading back to your car with the take-out packages .
- Tap “ start trip ” for directions to the delivery address .
- Swipe up in the app for special delivery instructions regarding slump or parking .
- The customer will receive a text as you approach, so they ’ re ready for you .
- Knock or ring the bell if they didn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate request to meet you outside their placement .
- Greet the customer by introducing yourself with a smile and hand them their order .
- Swipe “ complete trip, ” and you ’ re done with this delivery !
Sign Up With Uber Eats
Where can you download the Uber Eats app?
You ’ ll be able to find it in Google Play or App Store, depending on whether you have an Android or iPhone !
Sign Up With Uber Eats
How much money do drivers that work for Uber Eats earn, and what is the pay structure?
Uber Eats doesn ’ t base payments on driving time, like regular Uber rides. According to RideSharingDriver.com, as of May 2018, the average pitch person working for Uber Eats can take home $ 8 to $ 12 an hour after subtracting vehicle expenses and Uber ’ sulfur commission .
You ’ ll make more money if you deliver multiple orders during interfering times like lunch and dinner. Boost multipliers are besides available at specific times and locations in-app, which allow drivers to earn more on each trip ( like to surge price ) .
The fees you ’ re paid, deoxyadenosine monophosphate well as Uber ’ south committee, may vary depending on the city and the type of fomite you drive ( a cable car, motorized water scooter, or bicycle ). still, the Uber Eats pay structure for drivers is based on the follow equation :
A fixed driver food pick-up fee, plus miles traveled between pick-up and delivery to customer fare, plus a fixed driver food delivery fee, minus Uber’s 25% commission = Uber Eats Driver payment per completed delivery.
here ’ s a distinctive example of the equation from the Uber help page :
$2.50 pickup + $0.20 x 5.2 miles + $3.00 drop off = $6.54 delivery fare. If Uber takes a 25% commission in your city, you end up with $4.90. Uber’s commission can be higher in some cities .
If you haven ’ metric ton already, go check out our friends at Gridwise, the ultimate rideshare and delivery adjunct. It ’ s a free app for io and Android that helps rideshare and food delivery drivers increase their earnings by up to 39% and save thousands on their tax bills .
Click here to download the Gridwise app today .
Can you accept tips while delivering for Uber Eats?
Customers are not required to tip drivers, but you ’ ra welcome to accept a tip off if one is offered. You do keep 100 % of all the tips you receive, whether you ’ re tipped in cash or the customer adds a gratuity through the Uber Eats app .
Sign Up With Uber Eats
If a customer cancels their order after you ’ ve picked it up at the restaurant, you still get paid your pick-up and delivery fees and the estimate mileage of the delivery. Uber says you can keep the food for yourself or throw it away .
What if something goes wrong during your delivery?
Read more : How to Build an Igloo in 10 Steps | Winter Fun
Let ’ s face it, stuff happens, right ? Like dealings, car disturb, the customer doesn ’ metric ton answer when you arrive, or the restaurant messed up the holy order. Unexpected problems are bread and butter for any manner of speaking driver. The cardinal is to know how to solve them .
here are some tips on how to handle such unpredictable issues yourself or by contacting Uber customer accompaniment :
- Problem dropping off the order ? The Uber app clipboard has the customer ’ sulfur contact confirm information, so you can text or call them .
- problem picking up the orderliness ? The restaurant ’ mho contact information is inside the app angstrom well .
- If the customer does not respond or there is a serious trouble, you can constantly contact local Uber support through the Help section of the Uber app .
What are the pros and cons of Uber Eats?
Becoming an Uber Eats pitch driver seems like a fantastic estimate if you want to earn some excess bucks or you ’ rhenium tired of driving people around. however, as with all decisions, there are pros and cons to driving for Uber Eats five just complain Uber. here are a few to keep in heed before you want to start delivering with Uber Eats :
- Uber Eats is an easy way to make extra cash, whether you drive for Uber or not .
- Like Postmates, DoorDash, and Instacart, driving for Uber Eats means you only transport food, not people. sometimes driving for Uber requires you to deal with drink, uncivil, or boisterous passengers, which isn ’ t the most pleasant feel .
- If you ’ rhenium 19 years old, you can drive for Uber Eats. You have to be 21 to drive for UberX .
- Uber Eats has fewer vehicle restrictions than regular Uber, sol most vehicles 1998 and newer will qualify, even if it merely has 2 doors .
- Being an Uber Eats driver is a big spear if you love driving about town .
- Your hourly Uber Eats pay can drop below $ 10 during slow rescue times. On average, most Uber drivers earn more than that hourly wage during a normal chemise .
- Waiting at slowly restaurants, dealing with traffic jams, searching for parking spots, and locating hard-to-find customers or pitch locations can be annoying .
Where is Uber Eats available?
Nowadays, you can become an Uber Eats food delivery driver in practically any big city across the USA. For a complete, up-to-date number of large and small cities in the USA where Uber Eats delivers, visit the Uber Eats Cities page .
here is a abbreviated list of popular cities where Uber Eats delivers in the united states :
- San Diego, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Spokane
- Phoenix, El Paso, St. Louis, Chicago
- Chattanooga, Boston, Dallas, Charlotte
- New York, Cleveland, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee
- New Orleans, Grand Rapids, Gainesville, Denver, Boston, and many, many more .
Sign Up With Uber Eats
What to consider before becoming a food delivery driver with Uber Eats?
once you consider all the pros and cons of working as a delivery driver using the Uber Eats app, it ’ second gain that it provides a antic opportunity to earn excess money. however, before you become one, there are several things you ought to understand first. Below, we ’ ve listed some of the most meaning considerations to have before applying for a food delivery driver with Uber Eats :
Prepare to work long hours
Working as a food rescue driver may seem pretty straightforward at foremost. And dependable, delivering with Uber Eats is not skyrocket science. however, it does require working farseeing hours, and it can be exhausting, even when driving a car .
other than that, engaging with customers can besides get tiring after a while. not to mention you ’ ll indigence to keep track of countless rescue requests and meet your targets. With all this in take care, you have to prepare yourself physically and mentally to do your job right. The best idea here is to estimate how many hours you ’ ll indigence to work to meet your targets and payment goals and adjust your work schedule accordingly .
Being a people person is a must
Although Uber Eats delivery drivers aren ’ metric ton required to engage with customers arsenic much as rideshare drivers, you ’ ll still need to communicate with other people. And if you ’ rhenium hop for a tip and good review, you need to be pleasant, even after working for respective hours .
As a food rescue driver, you need to enjoy talking to people, or at least know how to act you enjoy it. There will besides be numerous situations where customers won ’ triiodothyronine be precisely polite. In such cases, you need to know how to react in the most pleasant way possible. besides, remember that you can always report person if they behave disturbingly. Don ’ triiodothyronine engage in conflicts, as you ’ ll be the one to lose .
Your income may depend on the location
Where you deliver food plays a significant function in how much money you make. For exemplify, smaller towns come with fewer food orders and lower pay. On the other hand, delivering in larger cities like New York, San Francisco, or Seattle will provide you with a relatively senior high school income .
Below we ’ ve listed some of the most frequently asked questions regarding working as an Uber Eats pitch person :
What are the requirements to become a delivery driver?
You ’ ll need to meet several requirements before even considering becoming a Uber Eats driver. These will vary depending on the transportation system method acting delivery you opt for, as every method acting has different vehicle requirements .
When deciding on the car delivery, you ’ ll need to :
- Meet the minimum age to drive in your city
- Have a valid driver ’ south license
- Have a 2-door or 4-door cable car ( if you opt for using your vehicle )
If you decide to deliver by motorized scooter, you ’ ll have to :
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Have a valid driver ’ s license
- Have a motor scooter under 50cc ( if you want to use your vehicle )
For foot and bicycle manner of speaking, you ’ ll need to :
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a government-issued id
Besides these requirements, you ’ ll besides have to pass a standard Uber Eats background check, which reviews your criminal and motor vehicle report card .
Are there any Uber Eats discounts for drivers?
Yes, once you become an Uber Eats food delivery driver, you become eligible for respective incentives and promotions. These will help you maximize your earnings, thus be indisputable you understand how they work and how they can help you earn more money .
Can I be an Uber rideshare driver and Uber Eats delivery driver simultaneously?
Of run. What ’ s more, Uber encourages its drivers to deliver food. indeed, you can receive and complete both rideshare and food delivery requests using the same app. furthermore, you can do both during the lapp chemise to avoid any downtime during your working hours .
Which vehicles can I use to deliver food with Uber Eats?
Delivering by car is lone one of many ways to deliver food with Uber Eats. other than that, you can opt for bicycle deliveries or iceboat deliveries. however, when it comes to driving a water scooter, be sure to check whether the town you want to deliver in allows it. The lapp goes for delivering food on foot .
Deliver with Uber Eats and earn extra money
Uber Eats platform provides both rideshare Uber drivers and aspiring delivery people with a fantastic opportunity to earn a few excess bucks. Of course, there are numerous early food delivery apps and platforms that provide drivers with a alike opportunity, but considering how clear Uber Eats ’ rules are, they look like the best choice among the contest .
To become a delivery driver for Uber Eats, you ’ ll need to submit your application and pass a standard setting check. If you meet all the requirements, you ’ ll be able to start hand over and earn money with Uber Eats within a week ! It ’ s a gig that provides drivers with a fortune of freedom regarding how they operate. If you like being your own boss and don ’ triiodothyronine mind working long hours, becoming a delivery driver with Uber Eats is surely worth giving a sound !
Read more : How to Lower Your Electric Bill – NerdWallet
actual earnings may differ and depend on factors like total of deliveries completed, time of day, location, and expenses. hourly pay is calculated using average Dasher payouts while on a delivery ( from the time you accept an order until the clock time you drop it off ) over a 90 day period and includes recompense from point give, tips, and other incentives .