Table of Contents
Jock itch causes a rash around your groin that appears irritated, scaly or flaky.
What is jock itch?
Jock scabies is a common fungal ( caused by a fungus ) infection similar to ringworm. Jock urge causes an antsy, stinging, burning rash on the clamber around your groin, inner thighs and butt fracture ( gluteal cling ). Tinea cruris is another appoint for athlete scabies. Tinea is another name for tinea, and cruris means groin .
With this infection, your skin may become lepidote and cracked or develop bumps or blisters .
What does jock itch look like?
Jock rub can affect the peel around your groin, inner thighs and butt crack up. Your hide may appear annoyed ( red, empurpled, gray, tan or blank ), scaly or flaky. Your skin may besides develop small bumps or blisters .
Who does jock itch affect?
Jock urge affects everyone. however, adolescent and young pornographic men get athlete scabies most frequently. It ’ s uncommon in women. work force are three times more likely to get athletic supporter rub than women. It ’ s rare in children.
You may be more likely to develop athlete urge if you have :
- A weakened immune system.
Can women get jock itch?
Women can get athlete itch. however, it ’ s not common. In women, athlete scabies affects the skin around the breakwater, inner thighs and buttocks fracture. It rarely affects the vulva ( genitals ) .
How does this condition affect my body?
Jock urge normally affects the skin around your groin, inner thighs and border crack. It rarely affects your genitals ( penis, scrotum or vulva ) .
Your peel may develop an itchy rash. Your bark may change color, crack, peel or bit. sometimes, bantam bumps or blisters may appear along the border of your rash .
Symptoms and Causes
What are the symptoms of jock itch?
Jock itch can burn and itch. Your clamber may appear annoyed and change colors. It can besides appear lepidote or flaky. The foolhardy may look like a ring, and the outside of the rash may have small bumps or blisters .
What causes jock itch?
A fungus causes athletic supporter scabies. A athletic supporter itch rash is tinea. tinea can look like circles. But an actual worm doesn ’ metric ton causal agent tinea .
Is jock itch contagious?
Jock rub is contagious. Jock itch is a fungus that grows on or in your skin. Fungi ( plural shape of fungus ) need warm temperatures and moisture to grow. compressed underwear or pants trap hotness and moisture around your groin. Heat and moisture create the perfect environment for athletic supporter rub to grow .
How does jock itch spread?
Jock itch normally spreads through skin-to-skin contact or contact with an infect open. You can get athlete itch through sexual touch with an infect person. You can besides get athletic supporter urge by sharing towels or invest with an infect person .
In some cases, you can get athlete itch if you have athlete ’ south foot ( tinea pedis ). You can spread the fungus by touching your groin after touching your infect foot. You can besides spread the fungus from your feet to your groin through your dress. When getting dressed, it ’ s a good idea to put on your socks before your underwear to prevent spreading the fungus from your feet to your groin .
Diagnosis and Tests
How is jock itch diagnosed?
Your healthcare supplier can typically diagnose athlete itch by examining your groin and review symptoms .
What tests will be done to diagnose jock itch?
In some cases, your healthcare provider may remove a belittled slice of clamber ( biopsy ) and test it in a lab. several drops of a potassium hydroxide ( KOH ) solution dissolve the skin cells so that only fungal cells are visible .
Management and Treatment
Will jock itch go away on its own?
Jock itch doesn ’ t typically go away on its own. If it ’ s left field untreated, it can spread to other areas of your body, including your :
- Nails: Fungal nail infections can be more difficult to treat. They’re often more resistant to many treatments.
- Hands: A similar fungal infection can spread to your hands. This happens when you scratch your infected groin with your hands or use the same towel to dry off both areas.
- Feet: The same fungus that causes jock itch can also spread to your feet. It’s a condition called athlete’s foot. The fungus typically spreads from your groin to your feet through your underwear. It can also spread by using the same towel to dry off both areas.
How is jock itch treated?
over-the-counter ( OTC ) and prescription antifungal creams, ointments, gels, sprays or powders efficaciously treat athlete itch. These products contain clotrimazole, miconazole, tolnaftate or terbinafine .
Some prescription fungicidal medications are pills. These pills contain fluconazole, itraconazole or terbinafine.
Read more : How to change your Instagram username
It ’ s important to finish your entire course of medicine. If you stop excessively soon, your athlete itch may come back and be harder to treat .
What is the fastest way to cure jock itch?
The fastest means to cure athlete itch is to use an OTC or prescription antifungal cream, ointment, gelatin, spray or gunpowder. In more serious cases, your healthcare provider may prescribe antifungal pills to treat athlete itch .
For faster convalescence, it ’ s besides important to keep the area clean, dry and cool .
Can rubbing alcohol cure jock itch?
Rubbing alcohol may help cure mild athletic supporter scabies. Rubbing alcohol can prevent or stop fungal emergence on the coat of your skin. however, rubbing alcohol can make your clamber dry and close, and it can make aggravation worse .
Are there any home remedies for jock itch?
In accession to rubbing alcohol, a few family remedies may help prevent or treat athlete rub .
Some all-important oils can prevent or stop the growth of bacteria. These include tea tree, acerb orange, red gum and eucalyptus oils. however, they may not wholly get rid of a fungal infection .
Garlic contains a compound called ajoene. Ajoene can prevent or stop the emergence of bacteria. But, like substantive oils, it may not completely get rid of a fungal infection .
If you ’ ra allergic to essential oils or garlic, don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate use them to treat your athletic supporter itch .
How do I manage my jock itch symptoms?
Keep your groin dry, fairly and cool. Use a gunpowder or spray to absorb moisture around your breakwater, peculiarly after bathing or working out. Avoid wearing tight underwear or pants. Avoid scratching your groin. Scratching your groin may cause the fungus to spread to early parts of your body .
How soon after treatment will I feel better?
With proper diagnosis and treatment, your athletic supporter itch should go away in one to eight weeks. And, be indisputable to follow your healthcare provider ’ sulfur instructions .
It ’ second besides crucial to finish your full moon course of medicine. During the early healing stages, itch and irritation will fade. even if your symptoms go away, you may calm have athlete rub. If you don ’ metric ton finish your full course of music, your athlete itch can come back and be harder to treat .
How can I reduce my risk?
There are many ways to reduce your risk of getting athletic supporter itch :
- Thoroughly wash your groin with antibacterial soap.
- Dry your groin after swimming or bathing.
- Apply talcum powder or antifungal powder to your groin to absorb moisture.
- Wear loose underwear and pants that allow the area to breathe.
- Wear cotton underwear to absorb moisture or underwear made out of synthetic materials to wick away moisture.
- Wash your clothes after use, especially the clothes you wear while working out.
- Don’t share towels or clothes with others.
How can I prevent this?
If you have athlete ’ randomness foot or another type of fungus, there are many ways to prevent yourself from getting athlete rub :
- Treat your infected area with antifungal creams, ointments, gels, sprays or powders.
- Use a separate towel to dry your infected areas, or dry any infected areas last.
- When dressing, put on your socks before your underwear.
- Avoid scratching your infected areas. If you must scratch an infected area, thoroughly wash your hands with antibacterial soap before touching any other parts of your body.
- Wash your socks, underwear, towels and bedding in hot water.
- Avoid sexual contact with anyone who has jock itch until it’s gone.
Outlook / Prognosis
What can I expect if I have jock itch?
With proper treatment, the mentality for people with athlete rub is good. Be sure to follow your healthcare supplier ’ south instructions so that you get rid of your athlete rub promptly and don ’ thymine pas it on to anyone else.
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder
When should I see my healthcare provider?
Call your healthcare supplier if your athletic supporter itch :
- Doesn’t improve or go away with treatment.
- Looks infected (red, purple, gray or white skin; irritation and swelling).
- Spreads to other areas of your body.
What questions should I ask my doctor?
- How did I get jock itch?
- How long is jock itch contagious?
- What steps can I take to prevent jock itch from spreading to other parts of my body?
- What steps can I take to prevent jock itch from spreading to other people?
- What’s the best treatment for jock itch?
- Should I avoid any medications or treatments?
- What steps can I take to keep from getting jock itch again?
- Should I look out for signs of complications?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Jock rub is an unpleasant condition. It ’ second itchy and annoyance. It can besides sting or burn. however, fungicidal medications or family remedies will help you get rid of athletic supporter rub. Be certain you don ’ metric ton scratch your groin, as it can spread the fungus to early parts of your body. It ’ sulfur significant to follow your healthcare supplier ’ s treatment plan, excessively. If you don ’ t finish your wide course of medicate, athlete itch can come binding. Ask your healthcare provider how you can keep athletic supporter itch from spreading to other parts of your consistency or other people .