This stake was last update on December 2, 2022.
It ’ south no secret that Amazon is a juggernaut in the eCommerce populace. today, it accounts for approximately 40 % of U.S. retail eCommerce sales—or about $ 2 of every $ 5 spent online—according to eMarketer. And more than 60 % of on-line product searches now start on the market. For sellers, Amazon represents a huge, green opportunity. home to 200 million firm Prime members and billions of monthly visitors, Amazon sets itself aside as the largest on-line marketplace in universe. That ’ s what makes it a welcome summation to many multichannel selling strategies. ( not to mention that if your on-line store is built with Wix, adding Amazon as a sales channel is just a matter of a few simpleton clicks. ) But Amazon is besides a elephantine marketplace. To stand out from the push, there are several things you need to be mindful of before getting started. In this web log post, we ’ ll embrace all the fundamentals of selling on Amazon, including :
Is Amazon right for you? 5 considerations
It ’ s tempting to assume that everyone and their mother shops on Amazon. however, the world is that just like any other sales channel, Amazon attracts a alone clientele. Earlier this year, Business Insider —together with analytics firm Numerator—even reported that the typical Amazon customer is a college-educated marry woman be in the Southeast earning $ 80,000. According to the like report, these shoppers are by and large between the ages of 35 to 44 or 55 to 64, and spend 9 % of their shopping budget on Amazon.
This is reproducible with Similarweb ’ south findings :
- 60 % of Amazon.com visitors are female, 40 % are male
- 25 % of shoppers are between the ages 25 to 34, 21.6 % are between 45 to 54, and 16.3 % are between 55 to 64
- 70.2 % of visitors have a college degree or higher
- 39.5 % have an annual family income of over $ 100,000, 29.9 % gain between $ 50,000 and $ 100,000, and 30.6 % earn under $ 50,000
- The modal family size of Amazon shoppers is two
Prior to selling on the transmit, confirm that your consultation aligns with Amazon ’ south and set your expectations accordingly.
2. Product category
With more than 30 main product categories and 25,000 subcategories, Amazon is known to be “ the everything store. ” And so far, not every category is created equal. Some see much more light of day than others. Some are more highly regulated. hush others are easier to rank for ( read : less competitive ) or more profitable to sell in.
Make certain to do your due diligence and understand the types of behaviors that your target categories attract. Browse through the top-ranking products of relevant search and category pages. Check out Amazon ’ s Best Sellers number. If you resell democratic products, see who you ’ re up against by navigating to the merchandise page and checking out the “ other Sellers on Amazon ” section.
Keep in heed the peak 10 more popular categories ( by seller reckon ) adenine well, as reported by Jungle Scout :
- Home & Kitchen
- Beauty & Personal Care
- Toys & Games
- clothe, Shoes & Jewelry
- Health, Household & Baby Care
- Sports & Outdoors
- Arts, Crafts & Sewing
- Kitchen & Dining
3. Seller requirements
about anyone can join Amazon. however, as a third-party seller, you ’ ll be measured against rigid performance standards. More specifically, you ’ ll be expected to maintain :
- Below 1% order defect rate (ODR) – based on the number of chargebacks processed, veto feedback you receive, and more
- Below 2.5% pre-fulfillment cancel rate – based on the number of orders you cancel anterior to shipping out the product
- Below 4% late shipment rate (LSR) – based on the numeral of late or missing cargo confirmations
- Above 95% valid tracking rate (VTR) – ensuring that the tracking numbers you upload are valid
needle to say that you ’ ll want to make sure you ’ re set up to systematically meet these standards. otherwise, you risk listing suppression or, tied worse, bill suspension.
4. Costs of selling on Amazon
If you ’ rhenium serious about making Amazon work, you ’ ll want to sign up for a Professional design, which costs $ 39.99 a calendar month. With this plan, you gain access to the most useful tools in Seller Central, plus become eligible to win the Buy Box ( this is a must for resellers ). In accession to a monthly subscription fee, you ’ ll be required to pay a referral tip on every item sold. The demand total varies based on the product category but normally shakes out to be between 8 % to 15 % of your item ’ mho total sales price.
5. Costs of competing on Amazon
beyond required costs, there are other costs associated with being able to realistically compete on Amazon ’ s bustling market. Among them :
- Amazon FBA fees – With 92 % of Amazon sellers using FBA, participation in the fulfillment program is barely optional. It is presently the lone means for third-party sellers to earn the covet “ Prime ” badge on their listings ( Amazon used to offer a Seller-Fulfilled Prime option, but the course of study has since been closed off to fresh registrants ), and win the Buy Box in most categories. FBA comes with assorted shipping and storage-related fees that you ’ ll want to know .
- Advertising fees – closely two-thirds of sellers promote their products through Amazon ’ south Sponsored Product ads. They ’ re pay-per-click ( PPC ) ads that vary in monetary value, depending on the competitiveness of your target keyword .
Make certain you thoroughly understand how much it costs to sell on Amazon before diving headlong.
Pros and cons of selling on Amazon
With the above said, there are clear pros and cons of selling on Amazon. not all cons are unique to Amazon—many are built-in to selling on any third-party marketplace—but you ’ ll however want to be mindful of them.
- Massive reach – Amazon ’ second global presence and reach can yield lots of fresh traffic to your products and, ultimately, sales .
- Trusted channel – You may enjoy an easier prison term earning the trust of new customers, plainly because of Amazon ’ south reputation as a fairly priced, buyer-friendly marketplace .
- Competitive advantage – As shoppers jump to Amazon to compare products and explore all of their options, you can make certain your product remains top of mind, no matter where your customers shop .
- Open-minded shoppers – sixty-five percentage of consumers say they ’ ra comfortable bribe from sellers that they ’ ve never hear of before on marketplaces like Amazon, leveling the play field .
- Lack of control – amazon has its own alone algorithm, processes, and requirements ( for pricing, list, fulfillment, and more ) that you ’ ll need to adhere to in order to maintain your sell privileges .
- Exposing your data – amazon knows what you sell, what ’ s most profitable, and who your suppliers are—and unsurprising, may use this data to create competing products .
- Tons of competition – While pretty a lot anyone can start selling on Amazon, only one percentage of Amazon sellers make over $ 100,000 each calendar month in sales ( you ’ ll have to play the long game rather than dream of nightlong success ) .
- Brand dilution – With 78 % of searches being unbranded on the market, you may find it difficult to attract reprise buyers and redirect customers ’ loyalties from Amazon to your brand .
- Fees can add up – Amazon seller fees can eat into your margins and may be heavily to avoid, specially if you use FBA for fulfillment .
How to start selling on Amazon
If you ’ ve decided that Amazon makes sense for your occupation, follow these steps in ordering to hit the labor running.
1. Set up your Amazon seller account
One of the fastest ways to get started is by going through your Wix account. By integrating your Amazon memory with Wix, you can automatically import your existing catalog to Amazon, avoiding tons of manual data entrance and repetitive study.
To do so, plainly log into your Wix explanation and add Amazon as a sales channel.Alternatively, you can sign up for a new bill through Amazon. ( note : you can still connect your Amazon bill to Wix after creating an report. )
During the frame-up process, you ’ ll need to provide the come information :
- tax data
- phone number
- Bank account number
- Bank routing number
- Credit card details
- Government-issued ID
2. List your products
If you ’ re using Wix, simply select the products in your Wix Store catalogue that you wish to list on Amazon. You can add to an existing Amazon listing ( aka “ ASIN ” ) or create a new one ( only if no one else sells your product on Amazon ) —all from within Wix. If desired, you can customize your intersection details specifically for Amazon.
For exercise, say you want to change the price for Amazon. You can well define the price within Wix, then hit “ Publish ” to send those details to Amazon.
alternatively, you can go into Seller Central and create your listings from within there. It ’ s a fairly square serve, though it can be long-winded if you ’ rhenium entering details by hand. That said, Amazon operates on a first-come-first-serve basis.
In other words, if an ASIN already exists for your intersection because other sellers are already offering it on Amazon, you won ’ triiodothyronine be able to change the list details without submitting a confirm ticket. On the other hand, if you ’ re the first seller to list a unique product to Amazon and/or are registered in the Amazon Brand Registry, you can enjoy the most control over intersection details, including the titles, images, and bullet train points.
3. (For new listings) optimize your content
When it comes to creating a stigmatize newly number on Amazon, you ’ ll want to make sure that you optimize your content for Amazon ’ sulfur algorithm, american samoa well as their seller guidelines. Keep in mind that Amazon SEO is not synonymous with Google SEO. Amazon has its unique rank algorithm, intended to promote listings that are high-converting and sold by dependable sellers.
Follow these below tips to strengthen your Amazon listings.
Your intersection style is implemental in getting shoppers to click to your product detail page, so take surely to craft them carefully.
- Keep your text to under 200 characters so that Amazon doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate crop it. Amazon Seller Guidelines recommend keeping titles to 60 characters .
- Make indisputable to include the most significant aspects and keywords of your product. Consider what your customers will be looking for when shopping for your product, like size, color, sword and compatibility .
- Include relevant search terms that will enhance each intersection ’ second discoverability .
- Aim for high-volume keywords that ’ ll bring the justly shoppers to your list, but don ’ thymine overpack it with searchable terms .
- Capitalize words carefully so that your listings look professional .
product photography is identical crucial for establishing hope, so preceptor ’ thyroxine sink for anything inadequate of professional.
- The recommend size for intersection images is 2,000 pixels by 2,000 pixels .
- Make sure the chief picture is shot against a arrant white background and lone includes the merchandise ( sulfur ) that are shipped with each arrange .
- You can add up to nine images, each of which can help customers envision your product ‘s size, details, and intended practice. Consider hiring a professional product photographer and retoucher to give your imagination a nice affect .
- Avoid distracting backgrounds that can take away care from the merchandise itself. Make certain the merchandise is the star of the trope .
- Use soft lighting so that the intersection is easy to see in all its detail .
For more tips, check out our guidebook on intersection photography.
Key features and description
While keystone features ( aka “ featured fastball points ” ) tease the best aspects of your intersection, your hanker descriptions can help you to seal the distribute by providing more in-depth details about your product—don ’ t stint on either of these.
- Use fastball points to give customers a glimpse at the top sell points of your product. Don ’ t merely focus on features, but preferably talk about the benefits of owning your item .
- Use the merchandise description to help shoppers appreciate how your product will change their lives. What value does it bring ? What sets it apart ? How might it compare to other similar products on the marketplace ?
- Don ’ t stuff your copy with makeweight or extraordinary words ( like “ extremely ” ). alternatively, write to inform your customers about the most helpful view of your product, and to appeal to their values .
- naturally weave in keywords, including any alternate names, synonym, and spelling variations .
Pro tip: Tools like Jungle Scout, Helium 10, and SellerApp can all help you perform thorough keyword research, specifically for Amazon. oscilloscope out the contest and discover the best keyword opportunities for your products.
4. Name your price
At this stage, you ’ ll want to keep your pricing competitive without squashing your margins. Check what your crown competitors are charging by scoping out the top-selling products in your class. Analyze your existing sales data, plus use the aforesaid tools to inform your pricing strategy.
Bear in beware that your Amazon price shouldn ’ metric ton be excessively far off from your normal memory prices. Your listing may not rank well—or be suppressed entirely—if your merchandise can be bought at a army for the liberation of rwanda cheaper price in your store or elsewhere on the internet.
If you ’ re a reseller, you ’ ll additionally need to familiarize yourself with the Buy Box. This fiddling while of real estate ( located on the right english of your intersection contingent page on desktop, or below the product images on mobile ) dictates who “ wins ” and gains the profits from a sale. Buy Box winners may change casual, if not hourly, to reward sellers with the best racetrack records.
While your Buy Box eligibility depends on a assortment of factors ( including well score health and sufficient order volume ), your price and full volunteer ( for example, transportation time and fees ) will besides come into fun. You do not need to inevitably offer the lowest price, specially if you sell with FBA and offer Prime transportation. But, you ’ ll still need to optimize your monetary value for the Buy Box.
Consider testing out an Amazon repricer to dynamically adjust your prices. At minimum, be diligent in your research when deciding the best price for your product.
5. Decide how you’ll fulfill orders
There are two ways that you can handle regulate fulfillment on Amazon.
- Fulfilled by merchant (FBM) – You handle everything from warehousing to ship, and box to returns processing .
- Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) – You outsource fulfillment and customer service to Amazon. You ’ ll just be responsible for shipping your products to Amazon ’ s fulfillment centers .
As mentioned earlier, FBA is about a prerequisite for competing in Amazon ‘s most popular categories. That said, you can choose to take a hybrid approach and only use FBA for certain products. possibly the greatest advantage of FBA is that it gives your products a leg up in rankings ( plus the Buy Box ) by making them Prime-eligible. To sweeten the cover even more, FBA offers highly competitive shipping prices, allowing you to save importantly more in shipping costs than with early delivery partners and carriers. however, there are some challenges to be mindful of. Sellers most recently reported that Amazon drastically cut their FBA storage limits, chokeholding sales. You lose even more see over your business, allowing Amazon to hold on to your inventory, decide how to handle returned items ( dispose or resell ? ), and qualify storage space—among early things. Carefully decide which shipping method makes most sense for your products, then enter these volunteer details into your Wix score. In Seller Central, you can fill out the “ Offer ” tab key.
6. Publish and start marketing your products
once you ’ ve completed the above steps, you can publish your product list to Amazon. Remember, the job international relations and security network ’ metric ton done once you ’ ve reach “ publish. ” Take steps to driving more traffic to your listings via channels like :
- Amazon ads – create PPC ( pay-per-click ) ads for your products and target the independent keywords your target audience will be searching. These sponsored ads appear in search results and on other merchandise pages as recommend products. There are three types of Amazon PPC ads available : sponsor Products, Sponsored Brands and Sponsored Display .
- Social media – Choose the right social media channels for your prey audience and build a content strategy to grow awareness for your eCommerce business. Create engaging content that brings your products to life and drives customers to your on-line storehouse or Amazon intersection listings. Connect with social influencers who can promote your products using an Amazon affiliate liaison, earning them a commission in return for sales .
- Amazon badges – amazon has created a kind of badges designed to help shoppers make a purchase decision. available merely to sellers on a Professional design, these badges—or ribbons— can appear in search engine results page ( SERP ) or on merchandise listings. Some require more clock time and attempt to acquire, but all can positively impact your shop ’ second dealings and sales .
- Amazon’s Choice – Sellers can ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate buy or apply for this sought badge. It ’ s an algorithm-chosen “ best option ” specially designed to streamline the customer travel. To qualify, you ’ ll need to be Prime-eligible with competitively priced, high-rated products that are in stock and ready to ship .
- Promotions and coupons – Customers love the thrill of a bargain. Grab their attention in a crowd marketplace by offering incentives like dislodge transport, percentage discounts or seasonal worker promotions. Promo codes or share discounts are enticing and dislodge to use, but they ’ ll entirely be visible within your intersection list. Coupon codes are ascertainable in the SERP, but Amazon charges a fee for every coupon redeemed. ultimately, you ’ ll necessitate to do the mathematics to see if price promotions work for your business .
- Deal of the Day or Limited Time Deals – news bulletin sales like these encourage shoppers to take advantage of the discounted prices while stocks last. ascribable to its high visibility on the Deals page, sellers must pay a fee to participate. flush so, sales aren ’ metric ton guaranteed and you ’ ll be charged whether your crusade performs well or not .
Unicorn-themed children ’ second store, Daughter ’ sulfur List, cleverly uses some of these sales techniques to offer cost-conscious shoppers perceived value for money—a rebate on every intersection ’ south original List Price, american samoa good as extra savings coupons ranging from 5 % -25 % off. This competitive price scheme, alongside well-crafted product descriptions and solid intersection reviews, has earned the covet Amazon Choice badge on some of their products.
Sell on Amazon and beyond with Wix
Selling successfully on Amazon involves potent trade name management, fiscal management, and continual optimization across your listings. To stand out in such a crowd market you ’ ll need to embrace strategic planning, pay attention to the fine details, and stay focused on your business goals.
Operate fast and smarter than your competitors by managing your multichannel sales in Wix. Get set up and scale your reach—all from one seat.
New to Wix? Create your online store for free today.
Amazon selling FAQs
Is it profitable to sell on Amazon?
Despite the fees, it ’ s impossible to ignore the profit likely when it comes to selling on Amazon. The eCommerce elephantine boasts an incredible 300 million customers, including 200 million Amazon Prime members—an exciting prospect for entrepreneurs looking to grow beyond the reach of their stream SEO and marketing strategies.
It ’ s besides worth mentioning that Amazon ’ s relationship with third-party sellers is mutually beneficial. In 2021, Amazon generated approximately $ 103.4 billion in third-party seller services, and third-party seller products now account for more than half of all units sold.
Why should I sell on Amazon if I have an online store?
A multichannel strategies strategy is advantageous for many reasons :
- You ’ re not dependant on bringing in customers through one single sales duct .
- Your find of discoverability increases with Amazon ’ s external hearing of loyal shoppers .
- An on-line store adds credibility to your trade name. Customers browsing on Amazon might look up your web site to learn more .
- Wix stores that add an extra sales channel increase their gross by up to 12 % .
Wix merchant Qualis uses Amazon to get its diverse array of products ( including home, life style, favored, and baby products ) in front of the right audiences. Rather than building an hearing from boodle for each class, Qualis can tap into Amazon ‘s massive following—plus crack locate visitors respective ways to shop their products.
The Qualis home page proudly dons a spine stating “ Proud Amazon Seller, ” letting shoppers know that they can complete their purchases via their Amazon Prime report if they wish. meanwhile, for Amazon shoppers, the Qualis web site is a adept position for them to learn more about the Colorado-based company. Both the Qualis web site and Amazon page have a alike look and feel, creating a symbiotic relationship between the two channels.
What are good Amazon seller tools?
Amazon Seller Tools are third-party software solutions designed to help grow your Amazon business and streamline your workload. In a crowd market, they can help distinguish your store from the competition. Some of the most democratic tools include :
- Jungle Scout – An all-in-one platform that helps Amazon sellers find products to sell, informant suppliers, optimize listings, wangle inventory and sales, and more .
- Helium 10 – An all-in-one chopine offering a comprehensive range of software tools to manage your Amazon business .
- SellerApp – An analytics software app that offers a suite of tools to analyze and optimize your Amazon shop ’ s marketing, sales, and operations .
How do I get more reviews on Amazon?
Amazon mechanically emails buyers asking for a product inspection, so you technically don ’ t have to do anything to get reviews. But, there are other steps you can take to increase your review count. Just make sure to acquaint yourself with Amazon ’ s rigorous community guidelines, which prohibit things like bribing a customer to leave a positivist review. Some things you can do to earn reviews :
- Join Amazon ’ second Vine Program which is loose to sellers who have Amazon brand-registered products and fewer than 30 reviews. In the Vine program, a seller submits 30 units of stock. Selected Vine reviewers receive the product for barren, test it out, and write a review .
- manually request a recapitulation in Seller Central using Amazon ’ s “ Request a Review ” clitoris. It allows you to request reviews for each of your orders within four to 30 days of buy .
- place a menu requesting a review along with your box. Adding a personal touch like this encourages users to give you feedback .
Don ’ t forget to optimize the exploiter feel to naturally earn reviews :
- Be responsive. Handle and respond to any questions, issues, or concerns promptly and professionally .
- answer to customer reviews on the intersection detail page and, if you need to resolve any issues, ask them to contact you through Amazon ’ s Buyer-Seller Messaging Service .
- If you do get a bad review, you can try to reach out to the customer to offer recompense, like a wide or overtone refund or replacement item .
- Track your performance in Amazon ’ s Seller Central .
- Embrace feedback and use it to improve your business. Consider implementing changes to the aspects of your commercial enterprise that endlessly receive negative feedback .
Geraldine Feehily Marketing Writer, Wix for eCommerce
Geraldine is a market writer for Wix. She uses her across-the-board experience in journalism, publish, public relations, and marketing to create compel subject and loves hearing exploiter success stories.
Editor, Wix for eCommerce
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder
Allison is the editor for the Wix eCommerce blog, with respective years of experience report on eCommerce newsworthiness, strategies, and collapse stories .