Types of Shower Valves
Showers in Indianapolis area homes use a few different types of exhibitor valves to operate. The character of valves in your shower depend on the type of faucets you have installed .
- Pressure balancing valves are common throughout your home, and control the temperature of water output. Pressure balancing valves maintain a constant ratio of hot and cold water when you adjust the shower handle to ensure proper water temperatures from your shower, and makes adjustments as needed to account for pressure changes.
- Thermostatic valves specifically control water temperature to a preset level. With a thermostatic valve, simply turn on the tap and wait for water to reach your desired temperature – these valves eliminate constant adjustments to perfect water temperature.
- Diverter and transfer valves adjust water flow in the shower. This valve is the component that allows you to stop water flow from the shower faucet or tub spout and send it to the shower head, and vice versa.
Common Issues with Shower Valves
The shower valves in your home can experience problems over time, which require correction to improve the operation of your shower and prevent leaks. Common issues that affect shower valves, specially an old valve, include :
- Wear and tear: Everyday use contributes to wear and tear of the shower valve assembly in each shower across the whole house. Their seals wear out, which leads to leaks. Bearings within the valves wear, which slows valve reactions. Worn bearings cause temperature fluctuations from your shower.
- Lime scale: Over time, lime and dirt in your water supply builds up within your shower valve cartridge. This buildup affects valve performance, which causes temperature fluctuations.
- Hot water changes: Installing a new hot water heater or adjusting the temperature of hot water output from the water heater can create issues with shower valves that require adjustment. The valve clip within a pressure balancing valve may require adjustment to account for the new hot water temperature, as well as temperature settings in a thermostatic valve.
Issues caused by lime scale and scandal buildup are frequently remedied when you clean the faucet fabrication. This requires removal of the cartridge and early components, which are then soaked in lime remover or vinegar. The assembly must be lubricated and reassembled correctly for the shower valves and faucet to properly function .
When Do You Need to Replace a Shower Valve?
First off, if you have a leaky shower, you want to replace a shower valve or install a newly valve magazine to stop this leak american samoa soon as possible. A leaking valve causes significant water consume in the home over fourth dimension, which increases your utility bills. There is besides the risk of an unobserved valve leak behind the wall of your lavish, which has the potential to cause dangerous water damage and mold growth. When you replace shower valves, you gain better performance from your shower. If urine temperatures fluctuate in the shower whenever a toilet flushes or other taps throughout the home are in habit, a new press balancing valve solves this trouble. Through shower valve successor, homeowners besides gain convenience and safety. Upgrade to a thermostatic valve and preset urine temperatures for the exhibitor. A thermostatic valve eliminates the necessitate for finnicky adjustments to achieve the perfect temperature ! They besides ensure water temperatures do not get besides high gear – this is particularly important in homes with small children or aged family members, as they are at a higher risk of burns and scalds from hot water.
Read more : Preparing for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
How to Replace a Shower Valve
To replace a shower valve, you very need to be an know home plate improvement DIYer. To replace a shower valve is a far more complicate job than changing a showerhead. A good cognition of plumb is absolutely necessary to do this subcontract successfully. This plan involves making adjustments to the honest-to-god pipes of your shower, including soldering – do not attempt this project if it is besides advance for your skillset. That said, if you do not have the skills to replace a shower valve yourself, don ’ metric ton fuss – that ’ s what your plumber is here for ! Mr. Plumber ’ s licensed plumbers perform repairs like shower valve surrogate with relief. We ensure the job is performed correctly to avoid damage to your shower and plumb .
Tools Needed to Replace a Shower Valve Assembly
To replace a shower valve, you need to access the plumb components behind your shower wall. Tools you may need include :
- Allen wrench
- Channellock pliers
- Needle nose pliers
- Small hacksaw
- Utility knife
How to Replace a Shower Valve
Before you begin to disassemble your shower faucets to replace a shower valve, cover the tub or shower drain with a enfeeble stopper or fabric. You want to completely block the drain hatchway to prevent any screws or little components from entering the drain.
Read more : How To Cook Wagyu Beef Perfectly Every Time
- Remove shower handle by unscrewing. There may be a cap on the handle that covers the screw that holds the shower handle together. Once unscrewed, it may be necessary to tap or wiggle the shower handle to loosen and remove it. Place the shower handle and screws holding the handle together aside but keep them together, so you know which components go together for reassemble after you replace a shower valve, and prevent screws from getting lost.
- Remove the shower trim plate, also called the escutcheon trim plate. This is the metal panel that covers the bigger hole in your tiling or shower wall that leads to the shower valve on the water line. Unscrew the shower trim plates and lift the plate away from the wall access hole. If there is caulking that holds the trim plate in place, remove it with a utility knife. Place the trim plate and its screws aside, but keep them together.
- Optional – clean the handle and trim plate. Since they are removed, now is a good time to clean these components to remove lime scale, soap scum, and other debris. Soak them in white vinegar or lime remover while you continue the steps to replace a shower valve.
- Shut off the water supply to your shower. Locate the shower shutoff valves and close them to stop leaks as you replace a shower valve. The shutoffs for the shower are typically located to the sides of the valve, one for hot water and one for cold water – both need to be shut. If you are unable to locate the shower shutoff valves, shut off water to your entire home at the home’s main shutoff valve for the duration of this project.
- It may be necessary to cut a bigger hole in your shower wall in order to access and replace a shower valve. The hole behind the trim plate may not be wide enough to get the job done. Typically, you need a 12-inch by 12-inch hole to properly replace a shower valve. If the hole behind the trim plate is smaller, enlarge it, but keep it within a size you are able to recover with the trim plate.
- Remove the valve clip. Use pliers to pull the clip out of the top of the valve, which holds the valve in position. Set the clip aside. If your shower valve uses a retainer nut to hold it in position remove with a wrench and place aside.
- Remove the valve. Hold the end of the valve cartridge with pliers and pull the valve from the wall, wiggle to loosen if necessary.
Some shower valve issues can be resolved when you replace a shower valve cartridge with a newfangled cartridge – plainly insert the new cartridge, replace the valve cartridge holder, refit and replace the pare plate then the handle. If the entire shower valve requires successor, the march is more necessitate .
- Remove the old valve assembly and disconnect from piping.
- Fit the new valve assembly into place.
- Connect the new shower valve to the water supply using appropriate methods. Teflon tape can be used around male threads before attaching female thread fittings on PEX piping. Then, attach coupling and pipe-crimp fittings. If you have copper pipes, you must have soldering skills to solder the connections.
- Turn on water supply and monitor the valve for leakage. If leaks are found, resolve the issue.
- Replace the trim plate and handle.
Get Plumbing Help from Mr. Plumber
As you are able to see, to replace a shower valve requires a certain level of plumbing cognition and skill. This international relations and security network ’ t a problem for everyone – don ’ metric ton risk leaks and price to your home if this is not a DIY tax you are up for. Make indisputable complicated shower valve successor is done right when you call the pro at Mr. Plumber. Our accredited plumbers repair leaking shower valves and make upgrades for better exhibitor performance in your home. Schedule plumbing repairs when you call us nowadays !