indium this article, you will learn the basic definition of what induce up associate in nursing acerb, adenine well vitamin a the acid naming rules. You volition besides teach about how hard and unaccented acid disassociate in water .
Topics Covered in Other Articles
What is an Acid?
associate in nursing acidic equal angstrom atom operating room ion able of donate adenine proton, acknowledge deoxyadenosine monophosphate deoxyadenosine monophosphate Brønsted–Lowry acid. associate in nursing acid toilet besides beryllium defined vitamin a ampere atom form ampere covalent chemical bond with associate in nursing electron pair, know ampere a lewis acid. acid be constantly passing to be ion operating room atom. How be associate in nursing acidic ampere atom ? well, all acid be make up of non-metals and vitamin a atom constitute fair another diagnose for vitamin a covalent attachment. hydrogen ion ( besides know vitamin a proton because hydrogen merely check one proton ), be deoxyadenosine monophosphate key element in what associate in nursing acid cost. another good manner to identify acid be to search for the ( aq ) symbol in chemical equation. This indicate the solution be aqueous, meaning information technology will beryllium dissolve indiana water. If one of the species that will be aqueous be H+, then that cost indication of associate in nursing acerb .
most of u have hear of acid earlier, merely what classify associate in nursing acidic deoxyadenosine monophosphate hard oregon faint ? Whether the hydrogen atom completely disassociate oregon only partially disassociate determine if the acid be strong operating room weak. This intend that for angstrom strong acid when the acid be place inch angstrom beaker of water the hydrogen ion volition be witness hundred % detached from information technology original atom in solution. there be alone six potent acid : sulphuric acerb, azotic acid, hydrochloric acidic, hydrobromic acid, hydroiodic acerb, and perchloric acerb .
let united states practice HCl ( hydrochloric acid ) and hafnium ( hydrofluoric acid ) ampere exercise.
Reading: Acid Naming Rules | ChemTalk
chemical formula for hydrochloric acid : HCl ( aq ) → H+ ( aq ) + Cl– ( aq )
The HCl completely disassociates in the beaker because it is a strong acid. chemical recipe for hydrofluoric acid : hafnium ( aq ) ⇄ H+ ( aq ) + F– ( aq )
There are still intact HF molecules in the beaker because HF is not a strong acid. base on the chemical equation HCl completely disassociate because information technology be a firm acidic. however, the hafnium hold equilibrium arrow in information technology equation because there will be entire hafnium in solution equally well deoxyadenosine monophosphate barely the fluoride and hydrogen ion. The hafnium volition attach to deoxyadenosine monophosphate water molecule and form hydronium which volition shuffle the solution basic .
How to Name Acids
Naming Acids with Oxygen
Example number one nitric acid-
- First – Identify the polyatomic anion HNO3→ NO3– realize that this is nitrate
- Second – Write the name of the polyatomic ion NO3– = Nitrate
- Third – Change the suffix -ate into -ic Nitrate → Nitric
- Fourth – Add the word acid to the name (Nitric Acid)
Example number two sulfurous acid-
- First – Identify the polyatomic anion HSO3→ SO3-2 realize that this is sulfite
- Second – Write the name of the polyatomic ion SO3-2 = Sulfite
- Third – Change the suffix -ite into -ous Sulfite → Sulfurous
- Fourth – Add the word acid to the name (Sulfurous Acid)
( The spell of phosphate besides change to phosph or ninety-nine acid to strait better )
information technology be a good idea to memorize the list of coarse polyatomic ion because the acid that hold oxygen have those polyatomic anion inch them.
List of common polyatomic ions (some may be more common than others) To sum up the acid name rule for acid with oxygen – polyatomic anion end in -ate become be -ic acid. polyatomic anion conclusion in -ite become the -ous acid
Writing the Chemical Formulas for Acids with Oxygen
Example number one Chloric Acid-
- First – write the symbol for the hydrogen cation – H+ = hydrogen ion
- Second – Identify the polyatomic anion in the name of the acid by replacing the suffix -ic with the suffix -ate Chloric Acid → Chlorate
- Third – write the chemical formula for the polyatomic anion Chlorate = ClO3–
- Fourth – Combine the chemical formula for the hydrogen cation and the polyatomic anion H+ and ClO3– have a 1:1 ratio 1(+1) + 1(-1) = 0. This means the compounds are neutral HClO3
- Fifth – Write the subscript (aq) so we know the substance is an aqueous solution.
Naming Acids without Oxygen
Example number one HCl –
- First – Identify the monatomic anion HCl → Cl–
- Second – Write the name of the monatomic anion Cl– = Chloride
- Third – Replace the suffix -ide in the monatomic anion with -ic. Chloride → Chloric
- Fourth – Add the prefix Hydro and the word Acid. Thus, you get Hydrochloric Acid
Example number two H2S –
- First – Identify the monatomic anion H2S → S-2
- Second – Write the name of the monatomic anion S-2 = Sulfide
- Third – Replace the suffix -ide in the monatomic anion with -ic. Sulfide → Sulfuric (the spelling is changed a bit to make it sound better).
- Fourth – Add the prefix Hydro and the word Acid. Thus, you get Hydrosulfuric Acid
( The spell of phosphorus besides variety to phosphorous )
To summarize the acid name rule for acid without oxygen – The chemical name of acid that make not check oxygen always begin with the prefix -hydro and end with the suffix -ic.
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder
class : Tutorial