In this article, we ’ ll cover how you can use the MLA format in Microsoft Word .
mesa of Contents
The MLA Format Requirements
hera are the basic MLA guidelines :
- Use 1-inch margins on all sides
- Use a legible font like Times New Roman
- Use 12 size font
- Use double-spacing throughout the entire document
- Use indentation for the beginning of each paragraph
- Include a header that displays your surname and page numbers on the top right-hand side
- The first page should include your name, paper information and date
- The title of your paper should be centered on the first page
- The end of the paper should include a Works Cited page with MLA citations
How to Set Up the MLA Format in Word
here ’ s how you can organize your Word document sol that it conforms to the MLA guidelines. We ’ ll overlay each requirement in turn, so startle at the top and work your way down .
1. Set the Margins
To set 1-inch margins :
- Click on the layout tab (in older versions of Word this will be page layout).
- Select Margins then click custom Margins.
- For the top, bottom, rightand Leftmargins, type 1 and press record.
- Select oklahoma.
2. Set the Font and Font Size
To change the baptismal font :
- Select the home tab.
- Click the fontdrop-down menu and select the Times New Roman font (or a similar font like Calibri).
- Click the baptismal font size drop-down menu and select 12.
3. Set Double Line Spacing
To set double-spacing :
- Select the spacingdrop-down menu. This icon looks like blue up and down arrows beside four horizontal lines. Click 2.
4. Set the pitting
To set paragraph indentation :
- Right-click the document and select paragraph.
- Make sure the Indents and Spacing tab is selected.
- Click the drop-down menu beneath extra
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder
and select first base channel. Then, click the field beneath Byand type 1 centimeter.
alternatively, you can press the tab key before starting each fresh paragraph .
5. Set the header
To set your header :
- Click the slip in tab.
- In the header & Footersection, select heading and click lacuna (the top option).
- In the header, type your name and press the spacebar once.
- Click the home tab.
- Select align textbook Right in the paragraphsection.
6. Set the page Number
To set page numbers :
- Using your cursor, click in the header after your name.
- Select the Header and Footer tab.
- Select page Number, click current position and select Plain Number.
7. Include Key Information on the first page
now that your format is set up, it ’ sulfur time to include the needed information on the beginning page of your document .
This should be one to four lines with your full diagnose and other key data such as your course name, course count, teacher ’ second name, and date ( written in a day, month, year format ) .
After the go steady, click the Enter key, type your document or research paper ’ s claim and center the text by pressing Align Text Center in the Home yellow journalism .
8. Format the Works Cited page
If you include citations in your document, these besides need to conform to the MLA handbook. The number should be :
Read more : How to Build an Igloo in 10 Steps | Winter Fun
- Titled with “Works Cited” at the top of page
- In alphabetical order
- Indented with a hanging indent
To include a attend indent, select your citation list, right-click your document and choose Paragraph. In the Indentation department, select the drop-down box underneath Special, choice Hanging, and cluck OK .
Time to Get Writing
immediately that you ’ ve formatted your MLA paper correctly, it ’ s finally fourth dimension to get writing. With this formatting scout, you ’ ll have no trouble passing the MLA requirements. Just make indisputable to double-check your document before you submit it !