I ’ ve been having so much playfulness sharing with you different DIY bows I ’ ve made for Princess A, and immediately I ’ megabyte ready to parcel how to make big hair’s-breadth bows. If you want, you can still learn how to make a perfective bow. This post contains affiliate links .
Bows are my small princess ’ s crown, and I have very enjoyed making these dessert little accessories for her. You can make in truth sweet haircloth bows out of ribbon, but if you want to go a little bigger, nowadays ’ second tutorial is for you !
I ’ megabyte going to teach you a proficiency how to make big hair’s-breadth bows using decoration. Yes, you hear right. The trick is to scale it to the size you need. big proportional to a baby ’ s drumhead international relations and security network ’ t the same as your tween ’ randomness head .
To make this, I used 3.5 inch wide fabric ribbon with the wires removed. You can besides make these using layers of tulle, or anything wide. If you need it bigger, push-down list two pieces of ribbon, or see if you can find even wider ribbon !
4 inch decoration is readily available in different fabrics .
6 inch wide ribbon is slenderly harder to find in anything other than specialization materials – such as burlap, and tulle. I have however seen it in reasonably lace and other fantastic bow materials .
rather of decoration, you can, of course, use framework for this tutorial .
As with my early tutorials, the main reason I call this ribbon is that you ’ re using ribbons of whatever fabric you choose. so if you want to use leather or vinyl, you can simply cut ribbons out of it .
When learning how to make big hair bows, you ’ ll find that it ’ sulfur much easier to work with ribbons, as you can merely snip off a piece alternatively of measuring accurate sizes each clock time .
Table of Contents
How to turn your bows into big hair bows
fair as I shared in my previous bow tutorials, there are a few ways to finish things off and turn them into hair accessories .
That will of course depend on your base…
- Flat elastic – finish off 1/4 inch flat elastic to turn it into a baby headband in the size of your choice.
- Nylon baby headband base – these are really easy to use, comfortable for baby, and perfect for newborn headbands
- Alligator clip – Alligator clips allow you to attach your bows wherever you want to.
- Barrette – This gives you more of a straight attachment to just clip it onto a high pony and is ideal for tweens.
- Pony tail holder – I wouldn’t recommend this for big bows as precise placement is a little harder.
Read more : How to Build an Igloo in 10 Steps | Winter Fun
Supplies needed to make big hair bows
- Glue gun – quality matters! I love my Arrow glue gun
- Thread (optional)
- Ribbons – I used about 3.5 inch wide for baby sizes, wires removed
- Optional: tulle ribbon – the one I used is 2.5 inches
- Optional: leather scraps cut into ribbons
- Contrasting thinner ribbon – about half-inch works great, or cut ribbons from leather. I love lace trim for this too.
- Fabric strips – stiffer fabrics like denim work best. You can make the ends no-fray with nail polish first.
How to make a hair bow out of ribbon
1. Determine how big you want your bow to be and cut a duration of ribbon that size. Cut your narrower ribbon about an column inch farseeing .
peak : if your center ribbon is a material that ’ south hard to work with, such as leather, you may prefer to work with a rubbish ribbon that you ’ ll hide, like I did here .
2. Glue your center ribbon to the top center of your chief decoration, leaving a little dock on top. ( See painting ) .
3. Accordion fold your chief ribbon .
4. Wrap your center ribbon around, trimming as needed and gluing in station. That. Is. It .
Of course, attach it to your base. You can add a feel circle to the inside to make it more comfortable. Or, if you used a scrap ribbon, you can use the cover ribbon ( like the black leather I used hera ) to attach the headband/clip besides. Just cling it in before you glue it in put .
How to make tulle hair bows
Use this tutorial for any layered/very slender materials .
1. Layer a few pieces of tulle in the distance you want ( I layered 5 pieces ) .
2. Cut a length of thread. Accordion fold your tulle layers .
3. Wrap the thread around the center of the tulle, holding the accordion in place .
4. Glue the end of a bunched up man of tulle decoration to the back. Wrap a crowd of times until you ’ re felicitous with the thickness. Trim and glue in the back .
Read more : Preparing for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
I hope you enjoyed learning how to make big hair bows! Please share, which is your favorite? Comment below!
Sharing is caring !