This easy Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe is the relish packed, bum meal of your dream ! Pasta and ground beef are sautéed and covered in a creamy tomato & tall mallow sauce for a comforting version of this classical dinner estimate .
Easy Homemade Hamburger Helper
Hamburger Helper happens to hold a especial place in my heart. It ’ randomness one of the first things I learned to make when I moved out on my own at 19. It was something we could afford and I loved finding ways to doctor it up and add more spirit to the box translation .
These days, we make homemade Hamburger Helper and my kiddos call it Cheeseburger Pasta ! It ’ s thus creamy, packed with flavor and filled with cheese pasta and bites of ground beef. We sometimes tied add extra cheese on crown and melt it under the broiler for a few minutes !
This homemade ground beef assistant is one of our kids favorite weeknight dinners. It doesn ’ triiodothyronine hurt that that this recipe is budget friendly and then simple and slowly to make .
Why make it homemade ?
Boxed Hamburger assistant is convenient on interfering weeknights, but this homemade version is precisely a easy to make and filled with more season and freshness. By making it from scrape, you will besides have more control over the seasonings and can skip all the extra preservatives .
Oh ! And the from chicken feed way includes real cream and real cheese. You know that ’ s worth it alone ! If you in truth want that classical ground beef assistant smack with the artificial cheese, you can always add a little velveeta with the chopped cheddar cheese ! I promise your secret is safe with me .
If you want to serve a comforting and delicious dinner, you might deoxyadenosine monophosphate well go all in with the real deal ! My family can ’ thyroxine get adequate of this homemade ground beef assistant and I know you are going to love it excessively !
- Ground Beef: Feel free to substitute lean ground beef for another ground meat like chicken or turkey to change it up!
- Chopped Onion: I use a sweet yellow onion to balance out the savory flavors in this dish.
- Minced Garlic
- All Purpose Flour
- Beef Broth: You can also use another broth of choice.
- Tomato Sauce
- Italian Seasoning
- Seasoned Salt
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Pasta Shells: This recipe works with elbow pasta as well.
- Heavy Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt & Pepper: At the end, season to your liking with salt and pepper.
What Kind of Pasta to Use
Shells or elbow pasta work best for this recipe. If you don ’ triiodothyronine have either or those, any small attic will do. You could even make this hamburger assistant with penne if you truly wanted to. I like to use the shells because they ’ rhenium good at absorbing the creamy tomato sauce .
How to Make Homemade Hamburger Helper
Cook Beef: In a large sauté pan with a eyelid, brown the ground beef over medium high estrus. Remove cook ground beef from the pan and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of dirt in the pan .
Sauté Onion & Garlic: Cook the onion until easy, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic for the final 30 seconds .
Add Flour & Broth: Add the flour and stir to cook for about 1 hour. Slowly stir in the gripe broth and bring the concoction to a boil .
Cook Pasta: Add the tomato sauce, italian temper and pasta, stirring to combine. Cover with the lid and sauté for 15 minutes or until pasta is cooked, stirring occasionally .
Add Cream & Cheese: Add in the cream and cheese and stir until all the cheese is melted. Add the anchor beef back in and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste with strategic arms limitation talks and pepper and serve immediately .
For best results
Tips for the Best Hamburger Helper
- Adjust Amount of Broth Used: This dish should be rich and creamy. If you need more liquid for your pasta, add a little water or beef broth. This is helpful if you’re using a larger noodle like penne.
- Use Freshly Shredded Cheddar: There are a lot of high quality shredded cheeses out there, but for the best flavor I always recommend shredding it fresh yourself.
- Season to Taste: You can add your favorite seasonings to this recipe or tweak the ones listed if you’d like! If it feels like it’s missing something, make sure it’s got enough salt. Sometimes you just need a pinch more salt to make a dish like this shine!
- Garnish: Throw some parsley, pickles (it is cheeseburger pasta after all!) or roasted red pepper flakes on your pasta as a garnish.
What to serve with it ?
This bum homemade hamburger assistant is truly a one pot dish ! You don ’ t have to serve anything on the side if you don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate want to, it ’ second filling adequate on it ’ s own !
however, if you are like me, I like to have a little something green with every meal. So we often serve this recipe with a side salad or some steamed or roasted broccoli !
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
store your leftover beef pasta in a cover container in the electric refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you want to freeze it, store it in an aluminum pan tightly covered with credit card wrap. It ’ ll stay fresh in the deep-freeze for about 3 months !
You can reheat your ground beef benefactor on the stove or in the microwave. Add a splash or two of broth to bring back its creaminess. If you froze your leftovers, thaw them in the electric refrigerator before reheating .
Can I make this recipe ahead?
I would not recommend trying to make this homemade hamburger benefactor recipe ahead. This recipe is best served fresh right off the stave. When it sits and is allowed to cool, the pasta will soak up the supernumerary liquid and it won ’ t be a fantastic as it is fresh. The leftovers are still good, merely not arsenic good as they are clean off the stave .
however, if you want to meal homework before a interfering week, you can constantly sauté the flat coat gripe and onion/garlic before hired hand. Store them in ziplock bags in the electric refrigerator and have them ready to go by and by in the week for an even quicker dinner !
I am excited for you to try this supernumerary bum and flavorful Homemade Hamburger Helper and to hear your reviews ! It ’ s a favorite easy weeknight dinner of ours and I am glad to finally be sharing it with all of you .
Looking for more quick and easy dinner ideas? Check out these other reader favorites :
Continue to Content
Homemade Hamburger Helper
Make the bum pasta serve of your cravings with this slowly Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe ! Pasta and ground beef are sautéed and covered in a creamy tomato & tall mallow sauce .
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups pasta shells (can also use elbow pasta)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large sauté pan with a lid, brown the ground beef over medium high heat. Remove cooked ground beef from pan and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of grease in the pan.
- Cook the onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic for the last 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and stir to cook for about 1 minute, slowly stir in the beef broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, seasoned salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder and pasta, stirring to combine. Cover with lid and sauté for 12 to 15 minutes or until pasta is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cream and cheese and stir until all the cheese melted. Add back in ground beef, cook for 2 to 3 minutes more to re-heat ground beef and serve immediately!
This cup of tea is rich. If you need more fluid for your pasta you can add a little body of water or beef broth. You could substitute another type of pasta but try to use a similar size for the fluent ratio to work out .
Amount Per Serving:
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy .