- To freeze your accredit, you have to contact each of the three credit agency individually .
- Placing a credit freeze is free for you and your children, as is lifting it when you want to apply for new accredit.
- A freeze does not affect your credit grade .
Know how your credit is scored
See your free score and the factors that influence it, plus insights into ways to keep building.
What is a credit freeze?
A credit rating freeze blocks access to your credit rating reports, protecting against scammers ‘ attempts to access your credit reports and open deceitful accounts. When person applies for credit using your personal information, a lender or wag issuer typically checks your credit before making a decision. If your credit is freeze, the likely creditor can not see the data required to approve the application. Learn how to unfreeze your recognition when you need it.
How to freeze your credit
so how do you freeze your credit ? Contact each of the three major credit chest of drawers — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion — individually to freeze your credit : You can besides freeze your credit report at two lesser-known credit bureaus that may have information about you :
- Innovis : Call 866-712-4546 or go on-line .
- National Consumer Telecom & Utilities Exchange : Call 866-349-5355 or go on-line .
Information you need to freeze your credit at all 3 bureaus
It ’ s a good idea to gather all the documents you will need before initiating a credit freeze. While all three credit bureaus have slenderly different requirements, here is the information you will generally need to provide :
- Social Security numeral .
- Date of parturition .
- address .
Depending on how you initiate the credit freeze — on-line, by call, or by chain mail — you might besides need :
- copy of your recommendation, driver ’ south license or military ID .
- copy of tax documents, bank statements or utility bills .
- Proof of address, like a utility bill .
note : If you freeze your credit by phone, be prepared to answer some authentication questions, excessively. once a credit freeze is in place, it secures your credit file until you lift the freeze. You can unfreeze credit temporarily when you want to apply for new credit.
How to unfreeze your credit
Go to the recognition agency web site and use the account you used to freeze your credit rating to unfreeze your credit. You may besides be able to unfreeze your credit by call or postal mail if you can provide certain verifying information. Unless you use postal mail, unfreezing typically takes effect within minutes of requesting it. When you are applying for credit, you can ask the creditor which credit agency it will use to check your accredit and unblock only that one. Or, if you ’ ra shop for a loanword and may make several applications in a shortstop period, you may choose to lift the freeze at all three major credit agency. You can choose to unfreeze for a specify time period, after which the freeze mechanically resumes.
How to freeze your child’s credit
Parents and guardians can freeze the credit of a child under 16. If you request a freeze for your child, the accredit chest of drawers must create a accredit file for the child, assuming they do n’t already have one, then freeze it. In addition to supplying the information required for an adult credit freeze, you ’ ll besides need paperwork to verify the child ‘s identity and proof that you have standing to freeze the child ’ second credit. frequently asked questions Is freezing credit a good idea ? Yes. Placing a freeze on your credit reports can protect you from deceitful credit rating applications. Unfreezing your credit is typically agile when you need to apply for credit . Is there a downside to freezing your accredit ? There are some downsides to freezing your credit. You may be susceptible to scams involving your Social Security total and your indemnity rate could increase if your state allows insurers to use credit information to set rates . What is the remainder between a accredit freeze and a credit lock ? credit freeze services are mandated by federal law and are free. A credit lock is an optional serve a recognition agency may offer you for a fee, but it offers fewer legal protections than a freeze . How does a credit freeze feign accredit monitoring services ?
Read more : Preparing for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
When your recognition is freeze, your recognition monitoring service can calm access your credit rating reports and will still alert you about changes and fishy activity. Because you have your credit flash-frozen, attempts to open modern accounts in your name should not go through. You can think of a credit rating freeze and recognition monitoring services as a bivalent level of auspices. If you have a credit freeze and are considering adding a credit monitor servicing, you will likely have to contact each credit chest of drawers to lift the freeze. Once you add the monitor overhaul, you ‘ll need to refreeze your credit. Is freezing credit a good idea ? Yes. Placing a freeze on your credit reports can protect you from deceitful credit applications. Unfreezing your credit is typically flying when you need to apply for citation. Is there a downside to freezing your credit ? There are some downsides to freezing your credit rating. You may be susceptible to scams involving your Social Security issue and your insurance rate could increase if your state allows insurers to use credit information to set rates. What is the deviation between a credit freeze and a credit interlock ? credit freeze services are mandated by federal law and are free. A credit engage is an optional overhaul a citation agency may offer you for a tip, but it offers fewer legal protections than a freeze. How does a credit freeze affect credit monitor services ? When your credit is freeze, your credit monitor service can still access your credit reports and will still alert you about changes and fishy action. Because you have your credit freeze, attempts to open new accounts in your name should not go through. You can think of a credit rating freeze and credit monitor services as a doubly layer of auspices. If you have a credit freeze and are considering adding a accredit monitor service, you will likely have to contact each credit chest of drawers to lift the freeze. Once you add the monitor service, you ‘ll need to refreeze your recognition.
When to get a credit freeze
If you ’ re not actively shopping for a citation card or loanword, freezing your credit is wise. now that freezing credit and unblock credit are free, NerdWallet recommends that all consumers protect themselves in this way. If you think your data may have been compromised, for exemplify in a datum breach, get a credit freeze. It ’ s specially key if your all-important Social Security number may have been disclosed.
Cons of a credit freeze
There are a few, potentially :
- A freeze can give you a false sense of security — you may however be susceptible to deceitful charges on an existing credit report if it ’ second been compromised, or health care or tax refund scams involving your Social Security phone number. It ’ sulfur calm significant to check monthly statements cautiously for signs of deceitful activeness .
- It can complicate creating a mySocialSecurity report ( to track earnings, estimate future benefits, and so forth ). You can do so with a credit freeze or fraud alert in place, but you ‘ll have to go in person to a Social Security agency .
- Your policy rate could increase if your submit allows the use of credit information to set rates. In some cases, insurers ca n’t access your freeze file and might not give you a dismiss a estimable score entitles you to. If that happens, you can call your agent to find out if you need to unfreeze your credit .
- It can be slightly inconvenient, because you need to remember to lift the freeze when you want to apply for credit. That inconvenience pales in comparison to having to unwind fraud or identity larceny, though .
- You may forget whether your credit is freeze. ( If that happens, there are elementary ways to find out if your credit is freeze. )
Credit freeze or credit lock?
Both a credit freeze and a credit lock block access to your credit reports. however, a credit lock is a product offered voluntarily by a credit chest of drawers, which may charge a tip. Equifax ’ s citation lock is free ; TransUnion offers a free lock through its TrueIdentity intersection or as character of a broader yield subscription ; Experian ’ second lock is available only as function of a paid subscription software. citation freeze services are mandated by federal law and are free. credit locks may offer appliance — such as being opened and closed with a finger swipe on an app — but they offer fewer legal protections than a freeze.
Who can access frozen credit reports?
A credit rating freeze makes your citation reports inaccessible to most people, with a few exceptions :
- You can access your own records, including getting your free annual credit rating reports. You can besides check your barren recognition report compendious and score from NerdWallet while your accredit reports are freeze .
- Your current creditors inactive have access, as suffice debt collectors .
- Marketers can see your citation reports for the aim of sending you offers .
- In certain circumstances, government or child support agencies can see them .
- You can hush give license to an employer or potential employer to check your credit ( though the interpretation they see omits certain details ).
Read more : How to take a screenshot on LG smartphones
- Sign up to get your free credit score and report from NerdWallet. information is update weekly, and the factors affecting your score are broken out to make them easier to understand .
- Learn how you can manage your credit with NerdWallet .