Skirt steak can be merely seasoned or marinated for extra gusto — it ’ south often used to make fajitas. It ’ south best cooked in high heat for a short time, to deliver juicy slices of kernel quickly to the dinner table.
Reading: How to Cook Skirt Steak
What Is Skirt Steak ?
Skirt steak is a thin, long cut with visible ingrain. It comes from the short plate or diaphragm area of the guide, just under the rib section .
There are actually two types—the external and the inside skirt steak. This is important to know because the texture and tenderness will differ, particularly since this cut tends to be quite lean, with some ruffianly muscleman fibers .
- The outside skirt is more desirable, because it’s tender and less coarse. It will be about three to four inches wide, about 1/2- to 1-inch thick, and noticeably longer compared to the inside cut.
- The inside skirt is wider, about five to seven inches, half as thick, and yields a more chewy bite. If only the inside skirt is available, tenderize it with a mallet to 1/4-inch thickness, plus a marinade.
sometimes it ’ randomness hard to tell if the steak you ’ rhenium looking at is an inside or outside cut, specially since the beef is folded when packed. If the butch is available, I recommend asking about the placement of the swerve .
What ’ s the Difference Between Skirt Steak and Flank Steak ?
Both hedge steak and flank steak are tilt cuts of beef that are frequently grilled, pan-seared on the stovetop, or stir-fried .
Flank steak comes from the flank aboriginal, the abdominal area right next to the short plate, where the surround is located. It has a less intense beefy flavor compared to the dame, and it is perceptibly thick .
A full ocular prompt is that annulus steak has its grain running across the width of the kernel, whereas flank runs lengthwise. With both steaks, you want to cut them across the granulate to end up with a tender slice .
What Is the Best means to Cook Skirt Steak ?
Skirt steak is best seared in a hot pan. A form iron frying pan or a sizzle grill are my top picks. here are some more tips for cooking the best skirt steak !
- Dry the surface for better crust: I always dry the surface of my steak before seasoning or searing. Any excess moisture will create steam and reduce the likelihood of creating a nice crust on the steak.
- Do not overcook: A quick hot sear will create a flavorful browned crust, and undercooking by just a minute will reduce the fear of going too far. The best texture comes with just a few minutes of contact on the heated surface, to medium-rare doneness. Skirt steak is thin and lean, so going past medium-rare or medium doneness will yield an extremely dry and chewy steak.
- Cook it hot! Cook it fast with high heat, instead of low heat for slow cooking. There is not much connective tissue in skirt steak. Fattier cuts of meat with lots of connective tissue fare better when cooked over low heat for long periods of time, because the low-and-slow method helps to break down connective tissue. That’s not an issue with skirt steak.
Hot and fast is the best way to cook hedge steak to end up with a tender piece of kernel. The brief flash prison term, merely a few minutes on each side, ensures a fat coating .
What ‘s the Best Way to Slice Skirt Steak ?
Make surely to slice the hedge steak across the grain in slender pieces, about 1/4-inch thick. I like to hold my tongue at a 45-degree fish to create a bias cut. This ensures extra softheartedness by creating more open area between the muscle fibers, so they aren ’ triiodothyronine stacked, making it easier to eat.
Read more : How to take a screenshot on LG smartphones
Should You Marinate Skirt Steak ?
Marinating the steak can add interesting flavors and aromas onto the kernel .
Skirt steak has a unique accordion-like structure of coarse muscle fibers that provide increased surface area. That means more spirit can be captured, giving the kernel a tasty rise .
No more than 30 minutes is needed for marinating time so that the taste does not overpower the gripe. rather, serve with some extra sauce for dipping or topping. Make sure to dry the kernel after marinating ( before cooking ) .
Need Some Flavor Ideas ?
The robust flavors of skirt steak can handle some hearty dry rub or marinades .
Try creating a custom-make blend using coarse strategic arms limitation talks, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, thyme, oregano, mustard, chili powderize, cayenne pepper, or coriander, or use this recipe for Steak Dry Rub !
Get creative with marinades like citrus juice, chopped fresh herb, garlic, loss wine vinegar, or soy sauce for an asian wind .
How Do You Serve Skirt Steak ?
Skirt steak can be served as a main dish with ridicule potatoes or grill vegetables .
My sauce of choice is a lemony avocado chimichurri. cut it up for fajitas with sautéed peppers and onions. Put it on a salad, with greens like cos, spring desegregate, or rocket with a lemony french dressing. Chop it up to make quesadillas or nacho .
If I ever have leftovers, I always look forward to the following good morning ‘s breakfast, so I can enjoy it with over-easy eggs, sliced avocado, and sautéed spinach .
Need More Steak Recipes ?
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder