typically, crab louse legs that you buy from a store are already cooked ! The most gentle method for enjoying crab louse at home is to bake it .
here ’ s why you ’ ll love it sol much :
- Practically no prep time, hands off cooking, and unlikely to overcook the crab meat!
- You don’t have to cut the large legs into smaller pieces (unless you really want to)!
- No large pots of water to bring to a boil or fussing with steam baskets
This baked crab louse legs recipe was written out for Alaskan king crab legs, but we ’ re including instructions below for using snow crab or Dungeness crab legs if that ’ s what you ’ ra working with !
Either way, have batch of hot melted butter ready to dip the crab in !
What character Of Crab Should I Use For Baked Crab Legs ?
We ’ ra using King crab legs, which reign supreme when it comes to crab kernel. What ’ s the deviation between king gripe and dungeness cancer or snow cancer ?
Dungeness crab: Similar in relish to king cancer, but shorter and contain much less meat .
Snow crab: The most similar to king crab. They ’ re smaller in size, but slenderly fresh. A great substitute if you can ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate get king crab louse locally and/or want something a bit more economic and budget-friendly .
Blue crab: This East slide delicacy is only in season between April and December. Most often served with Old Bay, these are the smallest gripe of the bunch. thus modest, in fact, that they ’ re serve whole, unlike the other types of crab louse where you typically buy only the legs .
How much Crab Per Person ?
capital motion ! We recommend about ¾ pound king crab legs per person for dinner, or ~½ lb as an appetizer. If you ’ ra serving snow crab, you ’ ll want to up that to 1 lb per person. There ’ south a lot less meat in snow crab ! You can double or triple this recipe based on the size of the crowd you ’ re eating .
How To Bake Crab Legs At Home
King gripe legs are excessively boastfully in the best manner potential ! If you ’ rhenium baking them on a small baking sheet or serve, you may need to cut them into pieces. In cosmopolitan, a criterion rimmed bake sheet works just fine, no scissors required .
Preheat an oven to 375F. position thawed crab legs on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until warm throughout, about 15-20 minutes for king crab ( check at 15 minutes ! ) or 10-15 minutes for snow cancer legs. Crab meat retains a distribute of water and moisture — by cooking them inside their shells, they ’ re basically steaming in the oven .
While the gripe legs are cooking, melt the butter. place 1 stick unsalted butter in a little saucepan. Melt over medium hotness, then keep warm over depleted heating system until fix to eat .
You could also take a few extra minutes to make clarified butter: Melt butter over medium-high estrus until it comes to a soft boil. Continue cooking until water system evaporates and milk solids sink to the bottom. Strain through a cheesecloth. For more detail information on clarify butter, check out this big dangerous Eats article .
fresh Crab v Frozen Crab Legs
Most King crab is sold fresh frozen. What this means is that the crab legs were cooked shortly after the crab louse was caught, then immediately freeze to lock in crust. We suggest you let the frozen crab legs thaw overnight in a refrigerator before broil .
Using frozen crab rather ? No trouble ! Simply increase the cook time by about 10 minutes, regardless of whether you ’ re using bamboozle gripe, king cancer, or dungeness crab .
Can I Add Seasonings ?
You can, but it ’ s wholly not necessary ! Lots of people toss crab with creole temper or Old Bay season ( we get it, it ’ randomness delightful ! check out our celebrated crab cake recipe here ! ), but there is something so enjoyable about clean, sweetness cancer meat with melt butter that needs nothing more than a wedge of lemon .
Chives and fresh parsley ? They make for a pretty garnish, but legit not needed for serving !
Our Best tip !
- Check baked crab legs for doneness at the beginning of the allotted cook time. For instance, check king crab legs at 15 minutes (not 20 minutes) to ensure you don’t overcook them! Remember, king crab legs are already cooked — you’re just warming them through in a preheated oven.
- How will I know when the crab is cooked through? Again, they’re already cooked! You’re just warming them throughout. Their shells will turn a bright orange and they should be sufficiently hot to the touch all the way around. That’s it!
- It can be difficult to crack the shells by hand. Use kitchen shears to cut! Crab shells are tough in general, but King crag shells are damn strong. We like to have 1 or 2 pairs of shears on standby for guests to cut through the shells easily.
- Serve with a few tablespoons melted butter and lemon wedges! Give each guest their own ramekin with hot melted butter, but serve the lemon wedges family-style in a small bowl. Guests can add fresh lemon juice as they please!
With a entire homework and cook meter of 20 minutes, start to finish, and a whack 2 ingredients needed to make this crab leg recipe at home, we highly recommend you add this to your holiday menu rotation !
If you make this Baked Crab Legs recipe, please let us know by leaving a review and rate below !
Our Remaining 2021 Feast Of The Seven Fishes Menu :
And make indisputable to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes ! DON ’ T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at # wellseasonedstudio ! ! We LOVE seeing what you ’ re up to in the kitchen !
More seafood recipes to try !
from 1 vote
Baked Crab Legs Recipe
This is hands down the easiest way to make Baked Crab Legs at home! Instead of boiling in a large pot of water, bake in an oven for 10-15 minutes (depending on which type of crab you use). Once hot, serve with warm melted butter. Perfect for celebrations and holiday meals! GF
Rimmed bake sheet Saucepan, for melting butter Kitchen shears, for cutting shells
- 3 pound King cancer legs dissolve
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Lemon wedges for serving
Bake the crab legs. Preheat an oven to 375F. Place thawed king crab legs on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the crab legs. Crab is done when the shells are very warm to the touch on the outside. Serve immediately with melted butter and lemon wedges)
Melt the butter. While the crab is in the oven, place 1 stick unsalted butter in a medium saucepan. Melt over medium heat. Keep warm over low heat until crab is ready. You can either divide this immediately between dipping bowls or remove the milk solids to make clarified butter.
If making clarified butter: Continue cooking melted butter over medium-high heat until water fully evaporates and milk solids completely sink to the bottom of the saucepan. Strain through a cheesecloth. Full recipe linked in notes below.
- To make clarified butter, check out this great article by Serious Eats.
- How much crab per person? We recommend about ¾ lb king crab legs per person for dinner, or ~½ lb as an appetizer. If you’re serving snow crab, you’ll want to up that to 1 lb per person. There’s a lot less meat in snow crab! You can double or triple this recipe based on the size of the crowd you’re feeding.
- We recommend thawing frozen crab legs overnight in a refrigerator before baking. Using frozen crab instead? No problem! Simply increase the cook time by about 10 minutes, regardless of whether you’re using snow crab, king crab, or dungeness crab.
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder
Read more : Preparing for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
Did you make this recipe ? Tag @ wellseasonedstudio and hashtag it # wellseasonedstudio