AirPods and Macs are designed to sour well together without any hassle, so it can be baffling when your Mac just won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate recognize your AirPods .
There ’ south nothing worse than being unable to get through a earphone call or merging fair because you ’ re lodge with using your Mac ’ s speakers because you can ’ metric ton connect your AirPods .
Don ’ triiodothyronine give up on these devices merely so far ! We ’ ve compiled all the best potential fix to help you quickly connect your AirPods to your Mac so you can go about your day. Let ’ s get right into it !
How to Know if It’s an AirPod or Mac Issue
Since AirPods and Macs are two equally advance devices, it might not be immediately obvious which of them is responsible for the connectivity problems .
however, narrowing down which device caused the problem, can help you know where to focus your solutions on—and save you more time !
here ’ s how you can find out if the connectivity emergence lies with your AirPods or Mac .
- Pair your AirPods with another device (preferably a Mac). If your AirPods work on the other device, the problem is with your Mac, and you can follow these troubleshooting methods.
- Pair another set of AirPods (or other wireless earbuds) with your Mac. If the other pair of AirPods work with your Mac, the problem is probably in your AirPods, and you can try these methods instead.
Depending on your test results, you can try different fixes that are more specific to the induce. however, we recommend trying the situate for both devices to leave no stone unturned .
AirPods Not Connecting to Mac: AirPod-Centric Solutions
If you ’ ve found out that the exit is with your AirPods, these are our tried-and-tested true solutions that will probable help connect your AirPods to your Mac .
If your AirPods can connect to your Mac but keep disconnect or the audio cuts in and out, trying out these fixes might besides solve the publish .
Reset your AirPods
Resetting your AirPods basically means reverting them to the configuration they come with out of the box. If there was a software consequence somewhere in your AirPods, this should fix it. here ’ s how you can reset your AirPods :
Resetting your AirPods will require you to re-connect your other devices like PS4, Windows PC, or Android phones .
- Put your AirPods inside the charging case, and close the lid for at least 30 seconds. Then open the lid back up.
- Locate the setup button at the back of the charging case.
- Press and hold the setup button for at least 15 seconds. The status light should change from flashing amber to white.
- Close the lid; your AirPods are now fully reset.
due to the unlike form factors, you can ’ t apply this method while attempting to reset AirPods Max. You can rather reset the AirPods Max by pressing and holding the Noise Control and Digital Crown buttons .
Have trouble resetting your AirPods despite trying the above method acting ? Check out our comprehensive guide on how to fix AirPods that won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate reset
Clean the AirPods
In extreme scenarios, crap and wax build-up can cause hindrance with the connection between your AirPods and Mac. Dirt on AirPods may not constantly be obvious, so take a closer spirit at the crevices for hints of the lapp .
Follow these steps to clean AirPods and improve their connectivity :
- Use a cotton ball damp with 70% isopropyl alcohol to wipe all the surface areas of your AirPods.
- Then, using a toothpick, remove the stuck earwax or other dirt in the corners or hard-to-reach areas, like the speaker mesh. Be careful not to apply too much force while doing this.
- Finally, use a toothbrush to remove the remaining debris,
There are many precautions you need to take when cleaning AirPods. If you ’ re not careful, you might end up causing irreparable problems for your earbuds. You can follow our template on clean AirPods for more tips on a dependable and low-risk clean routine. A pending firmware update can besides cause your AirPods to not connect to your Mac. Firmware updates for AirPods preceptor ’ t come out much, but they could still contribute to connectivity glitches .
here ’ s how you can check your AirPods ’ firmware interpretation :
- Connect your AirPods to an iOS device.
- Open your Settings app, and go to Bluetooth.
- Find your AirPods in the devices list and tap the “i” icon next to your AirPods’ name.
- Check the Firmware Version column.
As of writing this guide, the latest AirPods firmware version is 4E71. Apple mechanically delivers AirPods firmware updates whenever you connect them to an io device. But if, for some reason, your AirPods don ’ t have the latest firmware, here ’ s how you can force a manual update :
- Pair your AirPods with an iPhone or iPad with an active internet connection and play some audio for 3-4 minus (typically, one song)
- Place your AirPods in the charging case, and charge the case through the Lightning port or your wireless charging mat.
- Place your iPhone or iPad next to the AirPods case.
- Wait for around 30 minutes, and check if the firmware has been updated.
Make sure your AirPods have enough charge
No matter how hard you try to solve the connection issue, you won ’ t find anything if your AirPods are just straight-up out of juice. typically, your AirPods will work properly up until they run out of battery – but a loss in joining quality is quite common on Bluetooth devices .
To ensure this international relations and security network ’ t the case with your AirPods, you can check your AirPods ’ barrage life by pairing them with an iPhone. The pop-up book presentment will indicate how much battery the earbuds and the case have .
For this pop-up book method to work, you must place your AirPods inside the case .
But if you don ’ metric ton have an iPhone at pass, you can place them bet on in the charging encase with the hat open. A green LED means that your AirPods are at full battery ; an amber LED indicates that they ’ ra not at 100 % however. No light means your AirPods are fully barren of agitate .
You can besides clean the area around the charging pins in your AirPods encase with cotton swabs dipped in isopropyl alcohol to ensure the earbuds charge properly .
AirPods Not Connecting to Mac: Mac Solutions
If you ’ rhenium sure the problem international relations and security network ’ t with your AirPods, there ’ south credibly something off with the Bluetooth hardware or settings on your Mac. hera are respective fixes that you can try :
If your AirPods won ’ thyroxine stay connected to your Mac, check out our guide on fixing AirPods keep disconnecting from Mac not many are mindful of this, but AirPods have a minimum system necessity to work with Mac devices. If you have an older Mac or haven ’ metric ton updated your firmware in a few years, this is likely to be the main lawsuit of your topic .
Depending on your AirPods ’ adaptation, you may have unlike system requirements :
To check your Mac ’ s current firmware, click the Apple menu > About this Mac. If you ’ re not using the minimal macOS version to use with your AirPods, you can go ahead and click Software Update to prompt a search for a newer interpretation .
Reset your Bluetooth module
Since AirPods use Bluetooth connection, problems in your Mac ’ s Bluetooth module or configuration can besides prevent them from connecting by rights .
If you ’ ve had a set of Bluetooth devices recently connected, or have messed with the settings a act, you can try resetting your Mac ’ s Bluetooth module by following these steps :
This procedure will remove all your connected Bluetooth devices. If you ’ re using an iMac, Mac Pro, or Mac Mini, make surely you have wired peripherals at the ready .
- Hold Option + Shift, and click on the Bluetooth icon on your status bar..
- Under the dropdown, hover on Debug and click on Reset the Bluetooth module.
- Click OK on the confirmation pop-up and restart your Mac.
Starting from macOS Monterey and former, this choice has been taken off the user interface – but you can still reset your Mac ’ s Bluetooth module through the terminal. This course of action is, however, not recommended for casual users .
Disable other Bluetooth devices
noise with other Bluetooth devices may besides cause your AirPods not connect properly to your Mac. In this scenario, your AirPods may besides connect to another device alternatively of your Mac .
If you have multiple Bluetooth devices beaming signals around you, try disabling them to see if it solves your connection consequence. You can besides try disconnecting devices connected to your Mac by following these steps :
- Put your AirPods in the charging case and close the lid. Then, leave them inside for at least 30 seconds before opening the charging case’s lid.
- On your Mac, go to System Preferences > Bluetooth.
- Right-click (or Cmd + click) on your Bluetooth device name and click Remove.
- Repeat the steps until you’ve disconnected all Bluetooth devices.
For best measure, make certain to disconnect the AirPods from other devices as well by resetting them
Establish a manual Bluetooth connection
There international relations and security network ’ triiodothyronine an automatic pistol match system between Macs and AirPods. If that ’ s what you expected when pairing them up, you ’ ve probable nailed the real number lawsuit behind your AirPods not showing up on Mac .
To resolve this, you need to add your AirPods to your Mac manually. here ’ s how to do it :
- Put your AirPods into pairing mode by opening the case with the AirPods in them and placing them beside your Mac. For best results, reset the AirPods
- Open the Bluetooth settings in your Mac and see if your AirPods show up under the devices list. If you use the lapp AppleID, your AirPods should show up there .
- Hover on your AirPods’ name and click Connect.
If your AirPods don ’ triiodothyronine look in the tilt of devices, follow these steps :
- Go to your Mac’s System Preferences.
- From the window that opens, click Bluetooth
- Make sure the Bluetooth is turned on. If not, simply click the Turn Bluetooth On button.
- Turn your AirPods to pairing mode by opening the case and pressing the setup button until the status light turns white.
- Wait for your AirPods to appear in the list of devices
- When it does, tap it and click Connect.
If you prefer a one-click coupling process, AirBuddy is a capital third-party app that prompts an automatic pop-up book whenever you open your AirPods next to your Mac. It besides looks like the pairing drug user interface on iPhones .
Sign in with your AppleID
If you previously paired your AirPods with early Apple devices like an iPhone or iPad, they will be registered to an AppleID. You can use the same iCloud account on your Mac to connect to your AirPods mechanically .
You can check the AppleID on your Mac by clicking on the Apple menu > System Preferences > AppleID .
If you don ’ t have the lapp AppleID, you can sign out and back in with the relevant AppleID .
however, this will besides change the account connected to your iCloud, iTunes, iMessage, App Store, and other apps that use an AppleID. In other words, you might lose your playlists, messages, installed apps, or files .
Set your AirPods as the default device
If you ’ ve recently connected other Bluetooth headphones to your Mac, they may still be the default playback device. In this casing, you ’ ll want to manually set up your AirPods as the default playback device. hera ’ s how you can do it :
- Go to System Preferences > Sound. If you’re running macOS Big Sur, click on the capsule icons and select the arrow next to the speaker icon.
- Select the Output tab and click on your AirPods’ name on the devices list.
By nonpayment, your Mac will mechanically assign your AirPods as a sound output when you pair them. however, this may not be the case if you have multiple voice output devices connected to your Mac .
Did you know you could listen to the same music with another AirPods drug user without sharing the like earbuds ? here ’ s a comprehensive guide on how you can connect two pairs of AirPods to one call simultaneously. You ’ re credibly reading this because you ’ ve exhausted all the troubleshooting steps above, but none of them work. At this point, you may have to contact Apple customer support for their aid. If you purchased your AirPods recently, you might besides be feasible for a successor unit of measurement .
The best way to connect with a documentation agent is through Apple ’ s on-line old world chat sport since it entirely has about two minutes of waiting time to get a reply. You could besides try posting your issue on the official Apple discussion forum or unofficial platforms such as r/Apple and r/AirPods to get other users ’ opinions on your specific concerns.
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder
Given that Macs and AirPods are pretty compatible, you can resolve connection issues related to settings or firmware using at least one of the troubleshooting methods above .
however, since AirPods and Android devices don ’ thyroxine study together as flawlessly, some features will still not work in the AirPods-Android match. so, consider this before trying out any of these solutions to resolve connection problems .
We hope this solutions guide will have helped you solve your AirPods and Mac connection issue. Did you find other fixes that we haven ’ metric ton listed here ? Please let us know in the comments !