This mail uses affiliate links. They don ’ t cost you a thing and help us bring you green cleaning tutorials. Read more in Policies & Disclosures .
oven racks seem to mysteriously collect grease and grim : one day they ’ rhenium bright and glazed stainless steel steel, the adjacent they are covered in splotchy black and brown stains that are closely impossible to remove.
Reading: How to Clean Oven Racks Naturally
Where oh where does all this crap come from ? ? ?
When we purchased our current oven, I vowed to keep it sparkling cleanse inside and out. then one day I opened the oven doorway and WHAM… the racks were dirty !
I tried wiping the racks with cleaner and scrubbing them in the kitchen sink, but nothing seemed to make a huge deviation .
ultimately, I consulted my trustworthy buddy ( Pinterest ) and started investigating oven cleaners. After some trial and error I found the easiest room to get clean oven racks .
The best function ? It ’ s a natural, green-cleaning solution I feel good about using !
Check out the video tutorial or skip to the written tutorial below.
Both will show you how to make oven rack cleaning a bare job !
The Best Way to Clean Oven Racks
The best oven rack cleaner is the simple : soak them overnight in baking pop and body of water then wipe houseclean .
Yep, it ’ sulfur in truth that simpleton !
Why this natural clean jazz band works :
- Baking soda breaks down the grease, food proteins, and stains found on dirty oven racks.
- Water softens the grime and baked on food particles so they can be easily wiped away.
- Baking soda is an affordable, natural cleaner so it’s good for your wallet and the environment.
How to Clean Oven Racks with Baking Soda
Baking soda makes a great oven cleaner. It ’ sulfur bum, won ’ thyroxine wrong metallic surfaces, and has great cleaning power without harmful chemicals .
Here’s how to clean oven racks with baking soda:
- Fill tub with several inches of hot water (just enough to cover the racks).
- Add 1-3 cups of baking soda depending on the size of the tub (more water=more baking soda needed). Swirl to dissolve.
- Place racks in tub. (Add a bit more hot water if racks are not completely covered)
- Soak the racks in the baking soda solution for at least 8 hours (or overnight)
- Wipe the racks with a clean rag, sponge, or stainless steel pad (use a scrubbing pad for tough spots like corners).
- Rinse and dry before replacing in oven.
WHAT IS BAKING SODA?
Baking soda is the appoint normally used in the United States for Sodium Bicarbonate ( NaHCO3 ) a white crystalline gunpowder used to leaven or raise baked goods. It is comestible and is balmy enough to be used as toothpaste or taken as an antacid, but should not be inhaled and can irritate eyes .
sodium Bicarbonate is a capital park houseclean component because it is alkaline ( a balmy base ) which helps break down grease and food which are by and large acidic. It besides softens water ( raise the ph ) for better clean and neutralizes odor causing acids .
You may also love: how to clean your oven door glass with baking soda
… and easy tips for cleaning with baking soda
Baking Soda or Baking Powder for Cleaning?
Please note, baking pop is sometimes baffled with baking powder, but they are decidedly not the same thing ! Both are used to rise bake goods in the kitchen, but :
- Baking powder is a mixture of a leavening agent (sodium bicarbonate), an acid (usually cream of tartar), and inert buffer (usually cornstarch).
- Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate.
- An easy memory aid: baking soda = single ingredient, baking powder = poofs in the oven.
3 More Natural Cleaning Methods to Try
While researching oven rack cleanse I came across several other natural cleaning tutorials that seemed promising. Give these 3 tutorials a try on if you ’ re ready to move beyond plain erstwhile baking sodium carbonate .
# 1 Overnight in the Grass Oven Rack Cleaner
Directions: Lay strong or cool oven racks on grass ( yes, your lawn ! ) overnight to loosen burned-on food and grease. In the morning wipe clean. ( This method is besides recommended for dirty grillroom racks. )
Assessment : I eagerly tried this old-school method acting, but it made very little difference on my begrimed oven racks. possibly the problem was the time of year : I tried the method in fall when my lawn was crisp overnight, I will try it again in summer when the lawn has more good morning dew .
# 2 Dishwasher Detergent Bath
Directions: Place erstwhile towels in bathtub. Place the oven racks in bathtub, on top of the towels. Fill tub with enough hot water to cover the racks. Add one cup of powdered dishwasher detergent. Soak overnight. In the dawn wipe clean and rinse the racks .
Assessment: Dishwasher detergent is designed to clean the type of messes left on oven racks so this method acting credibly works capital. however, using a cup of my favorite natural dish washing powder would cost around $ 5 ! I ’ five hundred rather not waste that much dishwasher detergent for one houseclean !
# 3 Baking Soda and Dish Soap Bath
Directions: Place erstwhile towels in bathtub. Place the oven racks in bathtub, on top of the towels. Fill tub with enough hot water to cover the racks. Add one cup of baking pop and a half-cup of hired hand washing serve detergent ( the kind used for washing dishes in the sink ) then soak oven racks overnight. In the dawn wipe clean and rinse the racks.
Read more : 3 Key Steps to a Concrete Floor Refresh
Assessment: As already noted, baking pop is a great clean that can boost the might of body of water and dish soap. And, since dish soap is designed to clean the type of messes left on oven racks this method probably works capital. however, using a half-cup of my favorite natural dish soap would cost around $ 5 ! I ’ five hundred quite not use that much soap when the broil sodium carbonate besides does a capital caper cleaning the racks .
6 DIY Oven Rack Cleaning Methods You Should Skip
There are MANY questionable oven rack cleaning tutorials on-line. The suggestions range from messy and damaging to downright dangerous. Do your oven racks a favor and skip these 5 rack clean recommendations :
# 1 Self-Cleaning Oven Cycle
Directions: Run the self-cleaning oven cycle with oven racks inside the oven .
Why this is not recommended : The self-cleaning oven Feature is not recommended for oven rack clean. Manufacturers instructions state that all oven racks should be removed before self-cleaning. This is because the extreme oven temperatures during the clean cycle burn food off of the oven ’ sulfur interior. Oven racks are made of different material that can be damaged by the heat. Self clean can even damage the interior of the oven if the racks are left in touch with the walls .
# 2 Ammonia and Trash Bags Soak
Directions: Place oven racks a big, clean garbage bag and pour in several cups of ammonia water. tightly tie the pocket close and let sit overnight. The ammonia water smoke circulate to loosen baked on food. Spray the racks with a hose to remove dirty .
Why this is not recommended: Ammonia fumes are harmful to the respiratory system and can even be baneful ! This clean should only take place outside in a well-ventilated area so the dangerous fumes are not inhaled and do not enter your home. In addition, when handling ammonia safety precautions include gloves, base hit goggles, and honest-to-god clothes that you do not mind staining or ruining .
# 3 Hot Water and Ammonia
Directions: Preheat oven to 100⁰F, pour ammonia water into a heatproof bowl and position it on the top rack, on the bottomland rack place a large pot of seethe water. Let it sit overnight with oven door closed to loosen dirt and dirty. Use warmly urine and soap to wipe off oven debris .
Why this is not recommended: This is the most dangerous oven single-foot clean ! The ammonia water fumes are inside the house where the smell may be intolerable and dangerous amounts can be inhaled. In summation, ammonia can be ignited and poses a fire and explosion luck, specially in a confined space so allowing a bowling ball to sit overnight in the oven seems unnecessarily hazardous .
# 4 commercial Oven Cleaner Coating
Directions: Lay the oven racks on an old formative shower curtain. coat with oven clean on both sides. Allow cleaner to work for commend time ( at least 10 minutes ), cancel racks with a rag or brush, and rinse .
Why this is not recommended: There are respective reasons to avoid this clean method : 1 ) Commercial oven cleaners produce harmful fumes. The clean should entirely take place outside in a well-ventilated area so the dangerous fumes are not inhaled. besides, when using oven cleaner, you should wear gloves, condom goggles, and old clothes that you do not mind staining or ruining. 2 ) Oven clean is expensive plus this method wastes a shower curtain .
# 5 Baking Soda and Vinegar Bath
Directions: Set dirty oven racks in an empty tub, sprinkle with baking sodium carbonate then pour over vinegar. Once the foaming stops, fill the bathtub with warm water and allow to soak overnight. Scrub the racks with a brush to remove dirt. Rinse and dry .
Why this is not recommended: This is an ineffective combination of reactive ingredients ( vinegar/acid + baking soda/base ) that cancel each other out leaving a tub full of urine with a bitty bantam bit of sodium acetate rayon. Skip the vinegar and go for baking sodium carbonate alone !
# 6 Dryer Sheet and Dish Soap Bath
Directions: Fill a bathtub with 5-10 dry sheets and a half-cup of dishwashing detergent ( the kind used for handwashing dishes in the sink ) then soak oven racks for several hours to allow the antistatic and framework softening additives in the dry sheets to soften the food .
Why this is not recommended: There are at least 3 reasons to avoid this clean method : 1 ) Dryer sheets are fully of ingredients that are hazardous to your health. 2 ) It ’ s a waste of expensive ingredients. 3 ) This use of dry sheet for oven scud clean is not recommended by manufacturers. I reached out to a cleaning tip pipeline and got this response :
Oven Rack Cleaning Tips
Getting quick to clean ? These oven rack cleaning tips will help you get the best results :
- Remove chunks of debris. Wipe the racks before placing the racks in the water. This can remove some of the black build up and stuck on grime making the racks easier to clean.
- Protect the tub. Lay an old towel or rags under the corners of the oven racks if you are concerned about scratching your tub.
- Give the oven rack cleaner enough dwell time. You’ll get the best results if the baking soda and water have enough time to work (also called dwell time) before you start wiping. Let the racks soak for at least 12 hours before you wipe off the grime. (I’ve accidentally let mine soak as long as 30 hours!)
- Be persistent. Oven rack dirt is baked on, caked on grease. If grime and black scorch marks remain on the racks after they are wiped, try a more abrasive tool such as a stainless-steel sponge, dish scouring pad, or even an old toothbrush to scrub into the nooks and corners.
- Clean first then rinse. Finish by rinsing the oven racks thoroughly with clean water, then dry, and replace them in your oven. They will look as good as new!
OVEN RACK CLEANING FAQ
Can you clean oven racks with baking soda and vinegar?
- Lots of cleaning tips recommend mixing baking soda and vinegar to clean oven racks. The bubbling reaction when the two mix is the vinegar neutralizing the baking soda. Instead, use baking soda and water to clean the racks and, if you want to include vinegar, use ½ cup vinegar in the final rinse water.
How do you clean oven racks naturally?
- Soak oven racks overnight in hot water with several cups of baking soda. Wipe clean, rinse, and dry.
How do you get baked on grease off oven racks?
- Soak them overnight in a bathtub with hot water and several cups of baking soda then use a stainless steel sponge (sometimes called stainless steel wool) to wipe them clean. Rinse and dry.
How do you clean oven racks without a tub?
- Think outside the box for a large container to soak your racks. A clean trash can, storage tub, thick trash bag, baby pool, or even the kitchen sink can work if you angle your racks, soak one at a time, or submerge just one part of the rack at a time.
How do you clean the glass on the oven door?
Read more : How to change your Instagram username
- You can easily clean your oven door with baking soda and water! Get the full tutorial here.
Can you clean oven racks in dishwasher?
- Yes and no. Standard oven racks are dishwasher safe and will not hard your dishwasher if they are positioned to allow all your dishwasher jets to operate correctly. However, the dishwasher will probably not remove all the grease and grimy build-up.
More Posts You’ll Enjoy
Do you have oven rack cleaning experience ? I ’ d love to hear your favored method. Comment below with your darling cleansing agent or period by my Facebook page .
Love my green cleaning recipes and tips? Sign up for my free newsletter below and never miss a thing!