CIA agent job information
CIA officer at a glance
What you’ll do: There are a issue of different roles in the CIA, but the representation ’ s overall mission is to collect intelligence to protect the U.S. from alien threats
Where you’ll work: All positions are based in the Washington D.C. area but frequently require exercise oversea
Education you’ll need: Bachelor ’ s degree at a minimum
Median annual salary: $ 64,610, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
The chief mission of the Central Intelligence Agency ( CIA ) is to protect the United States, chiefly through collecting and analyzing foreign intelligence and carrying out screen operations. It ’ second significant to note that the CIA, unlike the FBI and Homeland Security and other agencies within the intelligence residential district, has no actual law enforcement officiate. There are many different positions available at the CIA, with many of them based afield .
The CIA maintains rigorous hire standards. When looking at a career at CIA, make indisputable you start by looking at the requirements which include :
- You must be a U.S. citizen (dual citizenship is acceptable).
- You must be willing to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area. (Some travel may be necessary.)
- You must adhere to the CIA’s strict no-drug policy, which includes marijuana. The CIA drug tests each applicant.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
7 steps to a career as a CIA officer
Choose your degree. CIA officers must have a minimum of a bachelor ’ sulfur academic degree, and some roles require alumnus degrees.
many different degrees can prepare you for a career at the CIA. Criminal justice and political skill are the most common, but people with a wide assortment of educational backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Some roles require specific degrees, while others do not.
here are some fields to consider, per the CIA :
• Science, Technology, Engineering and Math ( STEM )
• International Studies
• Foreign Language
• Business, account and finance
• Law Find the right school . Finding a school that has a strong platform in your subject area is the following step in your education. Investigate the school ’ mho credentials and reputation in order to find a program that will set you up for achiever in your career. It may besides be worth exploring whether a school offers any programs with concentrations that strengthen other skills.
In addition to academics, it ’ sulfur important to take into account a educate ’ randomness location, size, campus acculturation, and platform schedule to determine if their program can accommodate your individual needs and desires.
Federal jobs require that your degree be earned from an accredited college or university. Accreditation is besides typically a necessity to receive federal fiscal help or to be accepted to graduate school. Apply to your school . A career in the CIA will most probable begin with your education. You will need a senior high school school diploma or GED to apply for a college or university, but beyond that, you ’ ll see there are some differences in prerequisites.
Some schools will expect you to have a certain GPA. For competitive schools, this may be above a 3.5. Less competitive schools will admit students with GPAs in the 3.0 or even 2.5 range. Some schools will expect to see SAT scores. In some cases, high SAT scores can help offset a lower GPA or frailty versa. Earn your degree . Earning a bachelor ’ s degree typically takes four years of full-time study. Studying half-time is a viable option for many people, although it will take longer. A graduate degree by and large requires an extra 18 months to two years of full-time study beyond a knight bachelor ’ s degree.
many degrees require an internship to graduate. You may expect to see these in business and accountancy, and law and STEM fields among others.
Students can besides apply for a year-long internship with the CIA in a compass of studies. In these internships, you can work with experts in their field to gain real-world feel in the intelligence community, and by working with your school, you can by and large arrange academic credit for the time you put in. Some of the subject areas available include :
• Foreign language
• Information technology Find your first job and gain experience . Some positions with the CIA require one or more years of professional experience in addition to a college academic degree. This meter spent working before joining the CIA is a good clock time to ensure you learn the latest skills in your field. It ’ randomness besides a good fourth dimension to earn any certifications that may augment your degree and make you stand out among other CIA candidates.
Examples of certifications for professions in demand by the CIA include :
• Accounting: Individuals can become Certified Public Accountants, Certified Internal Auditors and Certified Government Financial Managers.
• Telecommunications: The CIA is looking for individuals with network, security and early calculator certifications. Apply to the CIA . Applying for the CIA is long and involved—the five-step summons can take more than a class. Below is a drumhead of the application work :
Online application: You must be physically within the United States or its territories when you apply. You may travel abroad briefly during the application and lease work, but applicants are warned against contacting the CIA in any manner, including postal mail or electronic mail, while abroad.
Screening, testing and interviews: If the CIA is concern in pursuing your lotion, you will take share in call screen and screen. This may include in-person interviews at a impregnable CIA locate. It can besides include aptitude and personality tests.
Conditional employment offer: Applicants who make it through testing and interviewing will be given a conditional offer of employment. The CIA will begin working on your security and medical evaluations as depart of the headroom summons.
Evaluations: The security and medical evaluations are across-the-board and can take from six to 12 months to complete. This dowry will include polygraph testing ; a exhaustive background investigation, which involves interviewing friends, neighbors and colleagues ; and a physical and psychological interrogation.
Job offer: If successful through each step and there ’ s a position you qualify for, you may be offered a subcontract with the CIA. Keep in mind : The CIA specifically states not to mention you have applied to the CIA on any social media and to use discretion when discussing your application with class and friends. besides, the CIA is known to be very rigorous on its anti-drug function policy. Complete your training . After you are hired, you will receive educate from the CIA based on your role.
Some new hires may receive education through the Federal Law Enforcement Training Program, while others may take courses at one of the CIA ’ s prepare centers, including the Sherman Kent School for Intelligence Analysis.
Expect ongoing educate. Some train will be compulsory, such as for firearms and tactical trail, and update legal information. other coach is optional but offered to help you improve your skills or expertness .
Decide if a career in the CIA is right for you
Some may think of spy vs. spy thriller movies when they think of the CIA. In reality, as the nation ’ s premier intelligence agency, the CIA employs and depends on many types of skilled professionals to accomplish its deputation .
The CIA defines its mission as pre-empting threats and maintaining national security by :
What you’ll do as a CIA officer
The CIA has more than 100 different occupation titles and each is all-important to its mission. These positions range from accountant to graphic graphic designer, to physician to tax lawyer. Each performs an integral serve in CIA operations .
here are a few examples of different career paths available with the CIA :
- As an Inspector General criminal investigator, you will investigate fraud, waste and wrongdoing within the CIA. This involves interviewing, gathering evidence, preparing reports, and providing testimony.
- Technical and engineering:
- Telecommunications Services Officers operate and manage IT support overseas. They are also responsible for voice communications systems and help with operating emergency power, and heating and air conditioning systems.
- Cyber security officers protect data and systems. They protect the security of IT systems and anticipate any future threats, risks or challenges.
- Clandestine services:
- Acting as a liaison, the Staff Operations Officer work between CIA headquarters and the directors of field operations to ensure a successful operation. The position is responsible for finding solutions to complex problems and using resources fully to meet objectives.
- Language opportunities:
- Language officers provide support by translating and interpreting a foreign language into English. They also give cultural insight and context into customs and behaviors.
- Analytical opportunities:
- The Science, Technology and Weapons Analyst position at the CIA analyzes foreign weapons, warfare, and technologies. This intelligence is key to senior staff for comprehensive and accurate decision-making.
How long does it take to become a CIA officer?
There are a act of factors that will affect how long it will take you to become a CIA policeman .
One variable is department of education. All CIA positions require a bachelor ’ mho degree, but some may prefer or require a overlord ’ sulfur or doctor’s degree degree. Another variable is know : Most CIA jobs want at least at least one year of anterior have, but some require three to five years .
…it generally takes at least six years from the start of a bachelor’s degree until you could be officially hired by the CIA.
Given these factors, along with the year it normally takes to complete the application process, it by and large takes at least six years from the begin of a knight bachelor ’ s degree until you could be formally hired by the CIA .
Where you’ll work
The CIA requires employees to live in the Washington D.C. area as a condition of their employment. You can be living anywhere in the United States or its territories when you apply, but you must agree to relocate once hired .
As a CIA policeman, you may travel out of the country for workplace. You may be assigned abroad for a time period of time .
The Bureau of Labor Statistics includes CIA officers along with all police enforcement officers in its pay estimates for police officers and sheriffs. According to the BLS, these individuals earn a median annual wage of $ 64,610. When broken down by politics level, federal police earn a medial annual wage of $ 93,970. Compare other careers that are depart of the CIA ’ s roll of careers .
|Career||Median Annual Salary|
|Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers||$64,610|
|Information Security Analysts||$102,600|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||$83,640|
however, federal employees, like those who work for the CIA, have their salaries set by the federal pay scale. This pay scale includes grades and steps that take side and have into explanation. It besides includes a pay differential for cost of living—employees who are based in more expensive cities are given a boost in base wage to help offset the higher expenses .
additionally, federal employees receive a full benefits package. In addition to time off and medical insurance, CIA employees are eligible for scholar loan repayment and can take advantage of the CIA ’ sulfur childcare platform .
Most CIA employees will receive on-the-job and ongoing training as region of their employment. This helps ensure they are at the clear of their field and constantly stream on the latest technologies and techniques .
Beyond CIA-provided train, it can be beneficial to seek outside professional resources to further advance your cognition and skills. You may want to explore resources that pertain specifically to your area of expertness, such as business, terminology, or engineering .
hera are some examples of three organizations devoted to national and international affairs that often pertain to CIA work and a connect to their podcasts .
Written and researched by :
Category : Tutorial