A Guide to Filing for Unemployment in Florida
Florida Unemployment Claim FAQ’s
Can I File an Unemployment Claim?
need to file for unemployment ? To be eligible for Florida unemployment benefits, you must meet the follow requirements :
- be unemployed by no fault of your own
- must have earned eligible wages, worked the first 4 out of the last 5 completed calendar quarters
- must be able and eligible for full-time work
How Do I Apply for Unemployment in Florida Online?
Within a week of being unemployed, you want to submit a claim on CONNECT. To file a Florida unemployment claim, the express advises that you should have the follow cook :
- Social Security number
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of past employers (for the last 18 months)
- Dates worked and total wages from each employer (last 18 months)
- Gross earnings (pre-tax wages) for the current week (your first week being claimed for unemployment)
- ID — such as a driver’s license, state identification, voter registration number, or any other type of ID used to verify your identity
- The name and local number of your labor union hall (if applicable)
- Non-U.S. citizens need an Alien Registration Number and work permit (including expiration date)
- If you were in the military within the last two years, you need your DD-214 form
- Past federal employees need a Form SF-50 or Form SF-8 with check stubs or W2 (proof of earnings)
- If you want your benefits directly deposited into your bank account, you’ll also need a check or deposit slip
How Do I Calculate My Unemployment Benefits? What Can I Expect to Receive?
To calculate the sum you would receive, take your highest gain quarter and divide the earnings by 26. This sum is your weekly benefit. Keep in mind there is a minimal and a maximum for Florida unemployment. The minimum benefit is $ 32 per workweek, and the maximum is $ 275 .
When Will I Get My First Florida Unemployment Check?
once your unemployment claim is filed in Florida, you ’ ll get confirmation that it was received. For claims that are accepted, the first base requital arrives in approximately 3-4 weeks.
If your claim is denied, you may file an appeal on-line, but you must do so within 20 calendar days. You can besides file an appeal via mail. It ’ mho authoritative to know that even though you ’ ve been turned down, you must keep filing your unemployment claims every other workweek. If you win your appeals, you will only receive payment for the weeks you filed.
Read more : 3 Key Steps to a Concrete Floor Refresh
What Is Expected of Me As I Receive Benefits and How Long Will I Receive Them?
You will need to file every two weeks to remain eligible. During this time, you must look for and be available for full-time employment. The state requires you to keep a log of your job hunting activities. The expectations are that you will contact at least 5 employers each week inquiring about occupation opportunities and applying as available. You must besides complete an on-line skills assessment. The express requires you to accept “ suitable ” study as you find it .
Contact an Unemployment Compensation Attorney in Florida
Is your unemployment situation a result of discrimination or harassment ? Were you fired after returning from FMLA ? If sol, unemployment compensation may not be your only recourse. Contact our law firm to discuss your employment law situation .