Requesting Access to a Printer
Adding a Network Printer using Self Service ( Preferred Method )
manually Adding a Network Printer
Table of Contents
Requesting Access to a Printer
Note: This will only work on University managed devices. For instructions on adding printers to personal devices, use Manually Adding a Network Printer.
Complete the Printer Access Request form to gain access to a net printer or contact Technology Help if you need aid or are facing one of the follow situations :
- The person who needs access to the printer does not populate into the request form
- The printer you are looking for is not listed in the request form
- Adding a large group, Department or Unit to a printer
Adding a Network Printer using Self Service (Preferred Method)
For centrally managed devices, many of these printers are besides available through the Self Service application without an admin account or shape. You should be able to add printers using Self Service after receiving confirmation that your printer access request has been completed .
Follow these steps to add printers to your computer using Self Service :
- Click on the Gomenu on your computer’s toolbar, then click Applications.
- Open the Self Service application.
- Click Log in on the bottom left side of the screen, enter your internet ID credentials and press the return key.
- Open the Browse menu on the left side of the window, then open Printing underneath it. A list of available printers should show up on the right side of the window.
- Click Install on any printers that you’d like to have installed on this computer. A progress wheel should appear and you should get a Done notification once the printer has been installed.
For more aid with this, refer to Using the Self Service application on macOS Computers.
Read more : How to Build an Igloo in 10 Steps | Winter Fun
Manually Adding a Network Printer
Note: You will need to have administrative access on your computer and the printer’s IP Address to perform these tasks. If you do not have administrative access to your system preferences or cannot find this information on the printer, please contact your appropriate service desk.
- From your desktop dock, click on the Systems Preferences icon.
- Choose Printers & Scanners.
- Once in Printers & Scanners click the + icon.
- On the Add screen click on the IP icon.
- You are brought here
- On this page you will want to fill in:
- Address: (IP or hostname) for the printer you would like to install.
- Protocol: Line Printer Daemon – LPD is the recommended option for most larger devices, while Internet Printing Protocol – IPP is typically best with smaller devices.
- Insert the Name of the printer. This will be what your printer shows up as on your computer.
- Add the Location of the device. This is a note that will tell you where this printer is.
- Once you enter the IP Address, Name and Location detail, you will need to select a Printer Driver by clicking the drop down menu next to Use
- Note: You should NOT need an admin account to add a printer this way.
- Click the drop down arrow next to the Use field.
- Choose Select Software..
- On the Printer Software screen
Read more : Smoked Pork Shoulder
- You can filter your search by typing the type of printer you are looking for in the Filter field. In this example we are filtering for “Toshiba” and choosing the “Toshiba e-ST4511/451c Series P5” which happens to be the driver to e-Studio281c and 451c printers. If the printer is not listed, you will need to go to the manufacturer’s website and download the drivers.
- Once selected, click OK
- Once you have selected the driver to “Use”, you are brought back to the Add screen to complete the “Add” of the printer.
- To complete the “Add” you need to click the Add button. To move to next the step of the install .
- Printer setup will begin.
- Modify your printer options as needed. This exercise does not have extra options to change. This set up shown would be accurate and you would click OK to move to next footfall
- You are nearly done. From here you will want to double left click on the [Name of the Printer] to test the printing and set the device to be your default printer if you would like to.
- From here you can print a test page by left clicking on the Printer drop down menu for the device and choosing the Print Test Page option
- The test print page should flash on the screen like the image here and then go away.
- If you click on the Printer dropdown, you can choose to set the printer as Make Default, check additional settings etc
For instructions on how to set up network printers on a Windows personal computer mention to Printers : Windows add printer – print server .