If you ’ re looking to leverage TikTok ’ s massive drug user floor in building your audience, here ’ s a spirit at the strategies of the social media platform ’ south top creators and marketers.
How to make money on TikTok
To start making money on TikTok :
- You must be at least 18 years of old age .
- You must be based in the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, or Italy .
- You must have a minimum of 10,000 followers .
- Your videos must have 100,000 television views in the last 30 days .
- Your bill must adhere to the TikTok Community Guidelines and terms of serve .
Deciding how to monetize TikTok users becomes easier once you ’ ve gained a deep understand of your aim hearing. There ’ south no single approach to monetization, but the highest earners normally maintain a count of complementary income streams. From patronize content to organic market, the opportunities with TikTok are virtually dateless .
Let ’ s go over some of the most common ways users make money on TikTok .
1. Join the TikTok Creator Fund
Users who ’ ve built up a hearty be might consider making money through the TikTok Creator Fund .
tax income from the Creator Fund can vary from exploiter to user, and is calculated based on factors like the size of your consultation, the choice of your exploiter engagement, and the frequency of your posts .
The Creator Fund is a great estimate if you ’ ve already established a follow, but it can be identical single, and steadily requital is not always guaranteed .
If you ’ re just starting out, there are a draw of other ways to monetize your account. And even if you ’ ve joined the Creator Fund, it ’ sulfur silent a good mind to have extra streams of tax income .
2. Sell merch to your fans
Selling your own products on TikTok is great for monetizing about any type of content. Any creator—whether they ’ re a dancer, singer, or comedian—can make and sell merch to their most patriotic fans .
And with a wide-eyed variety of print-on-demand companies, there ’ s a long ton of trade to choose from. You might sell t-shirts, lug bags, pillow cases, hats, coffee bean mugs, stickers, notebooks—or any combination of products .
Selling print-on-demand products even has benefits beyond tax income. Owning branded merch gives your fans a more personal connection to your ferment, and every follower that wears your
Get inspired: Unxpectd
clothing brand Unxpectd was primitively conceived as a school project by six senior high school school seniors. But when the group took to TikTok to promote the clothe they were hand-crafting in their parents ’ basements, their lives changed forever .
Unxpectd ’ s TikTok account had its first viral hit in December 2020, and in fair a few months, the size of its following skyrocketed. Since calibrate, the team has relocated to Los Angeles, where they distillery dye and embroider their own products—when they ’ ra not creating fresh TikTok contentedness .
What works with Unxpectd ’ s TikTok account is that it ’ second rarely used to immediately promote its products. rather, Unxpectd invites followers to get to know the mark ’ s founders on a more personal degree, bringing them along for its brand-building travel .
Turn followers into customers
Inspired to start your own merch sword ? Learn how Shopify ‘s tools empower creators to monetize their audience on TikTok ( and every early social platform ) .
3. Go alive and collect virtual gifts
live endow is one of TikTok ’ s most useful features for creators looking to monetize their content through livestreaming. Most social networks have a livestreaming feature, but what makes TikTok singular is that it allows followers to show their taste in substantial time by sending virtual gifts, which can be redeemed for requital .
here are a few tips to help get the most out of going alive on TikTok :
- Pick the right time. You ’ ll desire to go know when most of your followers are on-line. Check your audience insights by going to your profile settings and selecting the Analytics pill to see when your audience is most active .
- Stay live longer. not every exploiter will stick around for the full duration of your livestream, but staying live farseeing will give more users the chance to log on and catch a glimpse of your broadcast .
- Post during your livestream. When you post a short video recording while live, TikTok prompts users who see the television in their stream with a connect to your bouncy broadcast, helping to grow your live hearing .
- Use TikTok hashtags. As with other social media networks, users frequently browse hashtag pages looking for newly accounts to follow. Use TikTok ’ sulfur hashtags to increase the reach of your videos .
- Test your internet connection and other equipment. Don ’ metric ton overlook the technical aspects of going populate. Make surely your internet connection, fall, and sound equipment are capable of being used for prolong periods of time .
- Stay safe. Remember that TikTok gives you the ability to filter comments, mute users, and obstruct viewers. Don ’ metric ton be afraid to use these features with users who aren ’ t contributing to the conversation in good religion. No one should have to put up with browbeat or harassment .
Engaging with users in substantial time is great for building valuable relationships with your fans. Audiences that have a solid connection to a godhead tend to develop a personal bet on in their success, which means going live can help to boost early monetization streams equally well .
Get inspired: Habits 365
Founded by adolescent brothers Eli and Spencer Zied, Habits 365 is a New York–based apparel company centered around the mantra that achiever is built by nurturing positive habits—with the brand ’ s affirmative young founders acting as the perfect ambassadors of this doctrine .
The success of Habits 365 lies in its founders ’ willingness to let users get to know them personally. They make frequent use of TikTok ’ s alive feature, often posting short videos of themselves working on their brand late into the night, which has helped them become one of the most democratic TikTok accounts in the world .
4. partner with influencers or other brands in the TikTok godhead market
One of the most innovative ways TikTok allows its creators to make money is through its Creator Marketplace. The Creator Marketplace helps connect the right brands to the right influencers, facilitating partnerships in a way that ’ s debauched and easy for both parties. TikTok makes it fabulously easy to create valuable sponsor content .
Brands looking to run an influencer campaign are able to browse the marketplace and cursorily shuffle through contented made by creators they can be sure are open to partnering with brands .
The creator market acts as an influencer agency, letting both sides indicate their willingness to work with one another, relieving some of the awkwardness of approaching influencers that marketers might experience with influencer selling on other platforms .
Get inspired: Peace Out Skincare
Like so many great businesses, skin care brand Peace Out was created when its laminitis encountered a problem that didn ’ t have a solution—until he created one .
After struggling with acne and hyperpigmentation, among early clamber issues, Enrico Frezza started researching the hide care product development process and building his own mark of skin worry products .
Wan na hear more about how Peace Out partners with TikTok influencers to grow their brand ? Check out our interview with fall through Enrico Frezza on the Shopify Masters podcast .
5. Create in-feed ads with the TikTok ads coach
TikTok has a short ton of great constituent market opportunities, but if you ’ ra bequeath to spend a little to expand the reach of your subject, you might consider creating your own in-feed ads with the TikTok ads director .
TikTok ads appear in users ’ “ For you ” feeds and auto-play like any other TikTok video. With pay ads, you can make certain your videos are reaching audiences that are most matter to in your products .
But the best part ? TikTok ’ s ad director seamlessly integrates with Shopify. That means you can create TikTok ads, select a prey audience, and track your ad ’ s performance—all from your Shopify store. TikTok in truth can be one of the best on-line commercialize tools at your disposal .
Get inspired: Luxe Collective
Luxe Collective is a Liverpool-based luxury fashion outlet offering up-to-date, pre-worn luxury goods for a fraction of the price you ’ five hundred find at other retailers. It was on Instagram, not TikTok, where Luxe Collective in the first place saw huge success growing its social media audience .
Over the last several years, Luxe Collective has fostered a huge TikTok stick to, seeing it grow to about triple the mark ’ s numeral of followers on Instagram .
Luxe Collective ’ s TikTok account is full of fashion tips, tutorials, and the latest news about all the biggest luxury fashion brands. Allowing the character of its audience to dictate its content, Luxe creates a social media account that doubles as a newsworthiness source for the exact audience that would be interest in purchasing its products .
6. Crowdfund projects by collecting donations from fans
Crowdfunding is one of the most accessible avenues for creators looking to make real money. You put a fortune of time and campaign into creating content for your fans, sol offering an easy, no-pressure way for them to give back is great for securing a regular stream of income .
Crowdfunding can take many forms, depending on what type of support you ’ ra looking for. If you ’ ra looking for startup funds for a specific project, you could rally your followers by setting up a fund goal and hosting live fund-raise events .
If you ’ re looking to fund a particular project, hera are some crowdfunding sites to explore :
- Kickstarter. Kickstarter is the web ’ second most wide used crowdfunding chopine, so the book of supporters and cognition of the post is its biggest asset .
- Indiegogo. If you don ’ t have a place fund target, you might prefer Indiegogo, which offers a more flexible fund-raise goal, letting you receive funds after your deadline .
- Fundable. Fundable lets startups offer fairness in exchange for fund, making it a capital tool for finding investors. Currently, though, Fundable is merely available to users in the United States .
- Crowdcube. Crowdcube offers companies that succeed in their fund-raise goals exclusive benefits from their spouse organizations through their Crowdcube Funded Club .
- Crowdfunder. Crowdfunder get companies raise capital through accredit investors, with a network of more than 12,000 venture capitalists and saint investors to connect with .
- Mighty Cause. With no fees or waiting period for approvals before launching your political campaign, Mighty Cause ’ s easy-to-use platform is great for cursorily creating a fund page to collect donations .
- SeedInvest. SeedInvest allows laypeople who aren ’ thymine accredited investors to invest in companies on their sites. On SeedInvest, your backers are investors, preferably than supporters—so funds are given in exchange for fairness .
7. Collect “ tips ” from your consultation
If you don ’ t have a specific project in mind, or aren ’ t cook to offer equity to investors, crowdfunding platforms might not be the ideal avenue to take. For a fast and easy way to accept donations, consider using a topple platform.
Read more : How to Build an Igloo in 10 Steps | Winter Fun
Tipping platforms are a more personal finance option. They work fair like a real life tip jolt. The choice is available to fans, but not mandatary, and they can donate any measure they like at any fourth dimension they want .
If this sounds more appealing to you, here are some big tip platforms to check-out :
- Tipeee. Tipeee doesn’t offer subscriptions, but its strength is in its simplicity. On Tipeee, creators can set up a page for their fans to directly “tip” any amount they want, whenever they want. Tipeee doesn ’ metric ton extend subscriptions, but its strength is in its simplicity. On Tipeee, creators can set up a page for their fans to directly “ tip off ” any come they want, whenever they want .
- Buy Me a Coffee. Buy Me a Coffee prides itself on being built for creators, as opposed to businesses. Like Tipeee, its potency is its chasteness. Followers are sent to a page where they can purchase as many “ coffees ‘ ” for the godhead as they like. “ Coffees, ” in this case, are $ 1 payments that are transferred to the godhead via PayPal or on-line banking .
- Ko-fi. Ko-fi offers tips, memberships, and ways to offer users commissions for personalized content, like a custom tutorial or video chat. Ko-fi offers tips, memberships, and ways to offer users commissions for personalize content, like a custom tutorial or video chat .
8. Start a Patreon and offer fan subscriptions
Crowdfunding works for big projects, and tip is the childlike way to collect funds promptly. But what if you ’ re looking to secure a more regular stream of income ? In that case, you might consider using a creator-based subscription chopine, like Patreon .
Subscription-based models of income work capital for content creators, because you can keep individual subscription costs low and focus on growing your number of subscribers .
A low-cost subscription of, say, one dollar a month is an easy deal to a single, give fan. If you have a bunch of dedicate fans, those dollars start to add up .
Patreon was the first big chopine built to let creators and influencers generate gross through paid memberships from their most firm fans. On Patreon, you can set up membership tiers that allow you to offer exclusive content to your biggest supporters .
Alternatives exist ( most notably Ko-fi, which besides includes a topple feature ), but Patreon has the add benefit of brand awareness, which adds a level of trust from prospective supporters .
If you ’ re thinking a subscription service might be the best means of monetizing your TikTok account, here are some best practices to keep in judgment :
- Be transparent. success on Patreon involves building a high degree of faith with your audience, so be diaphanous about the total you ’ re making and how your funds are being spent .
- Entice your fans with rewards. Audiences are likely to increase their donations if they ’ re getting something worthwhile in reappearance. Reward your biggest supporters with alluring benefits, like single content and unblock merchandise .
- Thank your supporters directly. Make your fans feel appreciated and they ’ ll be more likely to keep supporting your ferment. Reply to comments, tag users, and give video shout-outs to your supporters angstrom frequently as you can .
- Promote your Patreon profile. Fans can ’ metric ton donate if they don ’ t know you ’ re accepting donations. Link to your Patreon page from your TikTok visibility and mention it in your videos, particularly if you ’ ve recently gotten a fortune of new followers .
- Keep subscription costs low. It ’ randomness easier to get $ 1 from 50 followers than it is to get $ 50 from one. Keep your subscription costs low and focus on growing your number of subscribers .
- Create new content consistently. Paying audiences have higher expectations when it comes to how frequently you release new content. Keep a capacity calendar and release newly content regularly .
Who makes the most money on TikTok?
According to Hopper HQ here are the highest earners on TikTok in 2022 :
Each of these users made over a million dollars in 12 months—but how did they do it ? Let ’ s go over some ways the top-earning users make money on TikTok .
Do you get paid for uploading videos on TikTok?
TikTok does not directly pay creators to produce and upload videos. TikTok does offer fund for creators in the form of the TikTok Creator Fund ( more on that above ), but payment varies based on factors like the number of television views, the degree of engagement, and the authenticity of users engaging with the post .
There are some cases where brands might pay a popular influencer to create videos, but TikTok ’ s highest-paid users normally monetize their accounts through multiple income streams .
multiple income streams provide greater security, but when deciding how you’ll make real money on TikTok, the biggest component is your audience .
First, understand your audience to make money on TikTok
On TikTok, your audience is probably to skew younger. A majority of users ( 62 % ) are under the age of 30, and a sock 32.5 % of users are under 20. A fortune of people tend to think of TikTok ’ s popularity with Gen Z as its defining characteristic, but this could change quickly .
holocene surveys from Fortune cartridge holder display a growing number of millennials joining the platform, and social networks tend to be most popular with teens at their inception—so a head beginning on cater to TikTok ’ s older users could give you a boastful advantage in a few years .
TikTok message wide varies. What works for one hearing might not for others. The type of content you post should be guided by your hearing ’ mho interests, but there are some common features of TikTok message that its exploiter basis is likely to be more receptive to :
- Authenticity. The most popular TikTokers may range in their talents—from dancers to comedians to philosophers—but what they all have in common is their willingness to be their authentic selves .
- Audience engagement. TikTok offers a long ton of unique ways to engage with your audience—like its Q & A have, duets, and video recording replies to comments. TikTok users expect a more “ personal ” touch, thus use these features frequently .
- Frequent posting. A consistent stream of content will keep you at the forefront of your followers’ minds, add value to your content in the eyes of TikTok’s algorithm, and give you more opportunities to go viral and expand the scope of your audience.
There ’ s no one-size-fits-all approach to TikTok, but having a solid understand of your audience will put you in a better position to find the best ways to monetize your following .
How to “sell” without annoying your audience
The slippery separate of using social media to sell products is not overdoing the sum of promotional fabric. Your fans understand that you need funding to keep creating the content they love, but no one wants to follow an report that good feels like it ’ s advertising constantly .
This is specially truthful with TikTok, since the platform itself is so gear toward forming personal connections with your audience .
Users appreciate good content, so it might help to take a “ content-first ” overture. Rather than starting with your sales pitch and building contented around it, create the content first and let it inspire the best ways to monetize your explanation .
Get inspired: Partly Sunny Projects
partially Sunny Projects is an on-line establish distributor shipping stunning California greenery across the country. Founder Sonja Detrinidad started the business as a beguilement from the try of her day job as a mortgage professional .
When she quit her job and decided to work on her business full-time, she started thinking about ways to direct traffic to her store. And that ’ s when Sonja turned to TikTok .
It didn ’ t take long for TikTok audiences to fall in love with her captivating personality. Sonja ’ s no-nonsense approach to garden is just the type of authentic content that absolutely resonates with TikTok audiences .
What makes Sonja ’ randomness use of TikTok for her business therefore successful is that she is focused on creating content she knows her viewers enjoy. Sonja covers topics related to gardening, efficaciously capturing the attention of the claim type of follower that can be turned into a customer .
Join the TikTok creator economy
Creators are rarely driven by the prognosis of making money. Creators are artists—and as such, their fulfillment in creating doesn ’ t come from the money they make but from the creation itself .
But to be a creator in the year 2022 means a lot more than it used to. Creators aren ’ metric ton just artists anymore. They ’ ra artists, entrepreneurs, marketers, salesperson, accountants, founders, CEOs—and everything in between .
In the godhead economy, stars are self-made—their big breaks aren ’ thymine born out of the pocketbooks of affluent gatekeepers, but out their own creativity, heat, and desire to build something alone .
Time is money—and making more money from your artwork grants you more time to create art. If the money itself isn ’ thymine rewarding adequate, the extra prison term it buys will be .
If you enjoyed this guide, check out our tips for how to make money on YouTube and how to make money on Instagram !
illustration by Eugenia Mello
Start your free trial of Shopify—no credit card required!
Making money on TikTok FAQ
Can I make money on TikTok?
Yes ! Anyone can make money on TikTok with the right tools and an effective strategy. If you ’ re looking to make money on TikTok, take a spirit at the tips above and start considering which strategies are best for you .
How do I make money on TikTok through the Creator Fund?
If you ’ d like to apply to the TikTok Creator Fund, just follow these steps :
- Open the TikTok app .
- Go to your account settings .
- Click Creator Tools .
- Select TikTok Creator Fund and follow the prompts .
How do creators make money on TikTok?
The most successful TikTok users make money through a combination of gross streams that can include sponsorships, fundraising drives, merchandise sales, and working with brands and influencers .
How do I get 1,000 TikTok followers?
TikTok is more personal than early social media sites like Instagram or Snapchat
, so you ’ ll want to be authentic, engage with your followers, post content systematically, go populate much, and position “ duets ” with other celebrated users. If you ’ re looking for more information on building your hearing, check out our guide to TikTok marketing .