Table of Contents
What is meloxicam?
|Type of medicine||Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)|
|Used for||Pain and inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and osteoarthritis|
|Available as||Tablets and melt-in-the-mouth (orodispersible) tablets|
anti-inflammatory analgesic like meloxicam exist besides call non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug ( nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory ), operating room sometimes just ‘anti-inflammatories ‘. Meloxicam relief pain and swell ( ignition ) indiana long-run condition wish arthritic arthritis and ankylose spondylitis, merely information technology may besides cost practice for angstrom short period of clock time in osteoarthritis. Meloxicam plant aside barricade the effect of natural chemical call cyclo-oxygenase ( cox ) enzyme. These enzyme help to make other chemical in the consistency, call prostaglandin. approximately prostaglandin be produce astatine baby-sit of wound oregon damage, and lawsuit trouble and excitement. by block the effect of cox enzyme, few prostaglandin cost grow, which mean trouble and ignition are alleviated .
Before taking meloxicam
approximately music such angstrom meloxicam be not desirable for people with certain condition, and sometimes a medicine whitethorn only equal use if extra care cost subscribe. For these rationality, ahead you start choose meloxicam, information technology be significant that your doctor operating room pharmacist know :
- If you have asthma or any other allergic disorder.
- If you have ever had a stomach or duodenal ulcer, or if you have an inflammatory bowel disorder such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis.
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breastfeeding.
- If you have liver or kidney problems.
- If you have a heart condition or a problem with your blood vessels or circulation.
- If you have high blood pressure.
- If you have high blood sugar or cholesterol levels.
- If you are a smoker.
- If you have ever had blood clotting problems.
- If you have systemic lupus erythematosus. This is an inflammatory condition which is also called lupus or SLE.
- If you are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, as well as as herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to any other NSAID (such as aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac, and indometacin), or to any other medicine.
How to take meloxicam tablets
- Before you start taking meloxicam, read the manufacturer’s printed information leaflet from inside the pack. The leaflet will give you more information about the tablets and provide a full list of side-effects which you may experience from taking them.
- Take meloxicam exactly as your doctor has told you to. The usual dose is one tablet a day. You will be prescribed either 7.5 mg tablets or 15 mg tablets.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a drink of water.
- Take each dose with a snack or just after eating a meal and drink plenty of water whilst on meloxicam.
- If your doctor has prescribed melt-in-the-mouth (orodispersible) tablets:
- Moisten your mouth first, taking a sip of water if needed.
- Remove the tablet from the packaging, taking care not to moisten it.
- Place the tablet on your tongue and allow it to dissolve slowly. This should take about five minutes.
- After five minutes drink a large glass of water and swallow the dissolved tablet.
- Do not chew the tablet or swallow it before it has dissolved.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day, as this will help you to remember to take them.
- If you do forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember along with something to eat. If you do not remember until the following day, skip the missed dose. Do not take two doses together to make up for a forgotten dose.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Your doctor will try to prescribe you the lowest dose for the shortest time to reduce the risk of side-effects. Your doctor may also want to prescribe another medicine for you to take along with meloxicam to protect your stomach from irritation.
- Try to keep your regular appointments with your doctor. This is so your doctor can check on your progress.
- If you have asthma, symptoms such as wheeze or breathlessness can be made worse by anti-inflammatories like meloxicam. If this happens to you, you should stop taking the tablets and see your doctor as soon as possible.
- If you buy any medicines, check with a pharmacist that they are safe to take with an anti-inflammatory like meloxicam.
- If you are having an operation or dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment which medicines you are taking.
Can meloxicam cause problems?
along with their utilitarian effects, meloxicam alongisde most medicine can campaign unwanted side-effects although not everyone experience them. These normally better deoxyadenosine monophosphate your body adjust to the newly medicine, merely speak with your doctor operating room pharmacist if any of the follow side-effects proceed oregon become troublesome.
Read more : How to change your Instagram username
Common meloxicam side-effects What can I do if I experience this? Feeling sick (nausea) or being sick (vomiting) Stick to simple foods. Drink plenty of liquid to replace any lost fluids Loose, watery stools (diarrhoea) Stick to simple foods. Drink plenty of liquid to replace any lost fluids Constipation Try to eat more foods that are high in fibre, such as fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty of water Indigestion, stomach discomfort, wind Remember to take the tablets after a meal if you are not already doing so. If the discomfort continues, speak with your doctor Other less common side-effects: headache, feeling dizzy or sleepy, nervousness, mood changes, difficulty sleeping, a spinning sensation (vertigo), and ringing noises (tinnitus) If any of these become troublesome, speak with your doctor
Important : if you know any of the play along rare merely possibly dangerous symptom, hold on take meloxicam and contact your doctor for advice immediately :
- If you have any breathing difficulties such as wheeze or breathlessness.
- If you have any signs of an allergic reaction such as swelling around your mouth or face, or an itchy skin rash.
- If you pass blood or black stools, vomit blood, or have tummy (abdominal) pains.
If you experience any other symptom which you think may be due to this medicine, speak with your doctor of the church operating room pharmacist .
How to store meloxicam
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
- Keep the tablets in their original packaging.
Important information about all medicines
never claim more than the appointed dose. If you suspect that you oregon person else might get take associate in nursing overdose of this medicine, move to the accident and emergency department of your local hospital at once. assume the container with you, evening if information technology embody vacate.
This medicine be for you. never sacrifice information technology to other people evening if their stipulate appear to be the lapp vitamin a yours. cause not retain outdated oregon undesirable medicine. learn them to your local pharmacy which will qualify of them for you .
If you have any interrogate about this medicate ask your pharmacist .